Fire Hydrant

Fred Berg said:
I went back and had another go with the feedback in mind. This photo is of a different hydrant not far from the original one. I couldn't get the DOF I wanted with the lenses I have whilst including the entire hydrant, so I went for a shot concentrating on the top of the hydrant which gave me a nice shallow DOF and, I think, quite a nice composition:

Müller chemist chain own brand film, iso 400. Picasa 3 to crop and resize, PSE 8 for contrast, etc.

C&C welcome

Composition is actually lacking in this image. Although you achieved an improved depth of field, you've taken a step backward in composition. The full hydrant in the original images was more appealing

And this is the original hydrant (again, I decided to concentrate on the upper part only):

imm024_12AKopie.jpg

I went back and had another go with the feedback in mind. This photo is of a different hydrant not far from the original one. I couldn't get the DOF I wanted with the lenses I have whilst including the entire hydrant, so I went for a shot concentrating on the top of the hydrant which gave me a nice shallow DOF and, I think, quite a nice composition:

imm027_9AKopie2.jpg

Müller chemist chain own brand film, iso 400. Picasa 3 to crop and resize, PSE 8 for contrast, etc.

C&C welcome
You could have taken a couple shots and stitched them to get the entire hydrant. I like the colors...

imm027_9AKopie2.jpg

C&C welcome
You could have taken a couple shots and stitched them to get the entire hydrant. I like the colors...

Thanks Edsport, that's something I'll definitely be trying out. Yes, the colours are nice with this film and it's very reasonably priced, too (less than 5 euros for 4 rolls of 36 exp).

Fred, you succeeded with the DOF issue, but as Edsport said, you didn't concentrate on the subject as a whole, and that's the essence of a picture. The shorter the focal length of a lens, the DOF increases. Shoot the Hydrant with your zoom lens at 70 mm, and as wide open as you can get. Since you're using film, get the slowest ISO film available.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back