Fireworks C&C

Tailgunner

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Fireworks proved a bit more challenging than I thought. I ended up with a lot of movement in my lines or zig zags. I was using a tripod with a cable shutter button as well as trying different ISO settings.

D7100 W18-200mm

200mm
ISO 500
4.8s
F11
tripod w/cable button

200mm
ISO
4.2s F11

That's weird. What kind of tripod were you running?

That's weird. What kind of tripod were you running?

I'm not sure, it's out the truck but its a Carbon Fiber one I picked up from Best Buy.

Funny thing, I ended up with the same type shots free handing it at the Ball Park the next day.

We ended up out at a public event for fireworks and my son decided it was time to nurse right when fireworks started. Lol I didn't get to try any! I'm curious about the zig zags and what caused that though

Was it windy?

The word "best buy" makes me wonder. I've had a couple crappy ones from there that broke pretty easily, but I've been told by some folks that "any tripod will do". This may be a case where we see that isn't the case... not sure.

Well something was moving that's for sure, it looks like camera shake but can't be certain it wasn't wind ....... Varied ISO why?? It should be set to lowest setting possible that your camera allows and left there.

Pretty damned bad tripod if a simple breeze screwed it up... HOWEVER... lots of parking garages actually shake quite a bit. Maybe that was it.

Pretty damned bad tripod if a simple breeze screwed it up... HOWEVER... lots of parking garages actually shake quite a bit. Maybe that was it.

I bought the best tripod they had :(

Anyhow, the parking garage does shake a lot! I guess next time I need to work on a more solid tripod and solid shooting location.

I don't think it's you... I think it's the fireworks. If they spin as they shoot up then they'll create a "corkscrew" like effect. If you're describing what I think you are describing... I think that's the shell and not your or your camera or tripod.

I don't think it's you... I think it's the fireworks. If they spin as they shoot up then they'll create a "corkscrew" like effect. If you're describing what I think you are describing... I think that's the shell and not your or your camera or tripod.

That makes sense, had a lot of them sprawl around once they exploded as well.

Sometimes it can work in your favor. I had a few that did that but the end result was actually kind of nice.

Was my first time shooting fireworks as well, had fun with it.

I'd say you have a camera-movement issue.

It's highly unlikey each 'flare' moves like a ballet.

Shakytripod.jpg

Last edited:
I'd say you have a camera-movement issue.

It's highly unlikey each 'flare' moves like a ballet.

Shakytripod.jpg

IC, Thanks.

I guess it was the vibration of the parking garage and small breeze. I'll stick to the ground next time and maybe look into a more solid tripod.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back