Fireworks picture

Boomn4x4

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I tried to get a little creative and step away from the typical fireworks shot. I tried to compose with a foreground, subject, background, by using some longer shutter speeds, I was in BULB.

I think I should have fired a flash to better expose the people and not blow out the fireworks, but never thought about it until after the show was over. Fortunatly, the pictures were taken in my back yard and the fireworks are from a minor league baseball stadium and they have fireworks after every Friday night game so I'll be able to try again.

I'd appreciate any feedback and thoughts.

13432_1424712910467_1612088489_1032.jpg

You opened the shutter too long

I like the idea behind this photo as it has an absolutely great foreground/environment for the fireworks, but I second that it's over exposed

I like the idea behind this photo as it has an absolutely great foreground/environment for the fireworks, but I second that it's over exposed

Absolutly agree... The fireworks aren't supposed to be the subject, they are supposed to be the backgroud. My subjects are the people, I wanted to property expose the subjects, not the fireworks... Its a trade off i had to make.

Obviously overexposed, the fireworks pull too much attention away from the "subject". For my next attempt, I'm going to try and get more help from my flash. The draw back, the shot was taken in almost complete blackness and the subjects are about 20' away from the camera, so I don't know how much my petty little popup flash would have helped.

I also think a reflector of some sort would have help??? Immediatly to the right and behind of my subjects is the back of my morning room. What are your thoughts on me hanging up a white sheet on the house to reflect some of the light from the fireworks onto the back of the subjects? Do you think that would provide enough light to expose the people and alow me to slow my shutter down enought to not end up with a blown out ?

NEEDS MOAR PP!

Hi!

The general idea of the picture is really nice, but you are right, you might want to use the flash next time, that would help highlight the people in your picture.

Since you were using a BULB it might be a good idea to ask the people on your picture to move while you are taking the picture, that might give you an interesting effect.

Have fun next Friday!

Sarah;)

Ya, you're gonna need to do two things. First of all stop down. The EXIF isn't there and you didn't tell us, so I'm gonna assume you're around f/8. Probably want to be at like f/16. Otherwise the fireworks will blow out something fierce, like they did.

The second thing is you're gonna need some pretty gnarly off camera light, because there's no way to get the kind of dynamic range you're talking about without external light sources.

The other option would be to do an HDR type thing with multiple exposures, one for the fireworks, one for the family.

Ya, you're gonna need to do two things. First of all stop down. The EXIF isn't there and you didn't tell us, so I'm gonna assume you're around f/8. Probably want to be at like f/16. Otherwise the fireworks will blow out something fierce, like they did.

The second thing is you're gonna need some pretty gnarly off camera light, because there's no way to get the kind of dynamic range you're talking about without external light sources.

The other option would be to do an HDR type thing with multiple exposures, one for the fireworks, one for the family.

Yes, f/8. I got some great shots of the fireworks themselves.

34911_1424713750488_1612088489_1032.jpg

but lost the people. I'm not sure my little popup flash would have helped considering the distance, any insite on using a reflector?

I found a picture that is more or less the same you are trying to do, only that instead of people there are flowers as a foreground. The photographer used ISO 800, f9, Multiple exposures (between 16 and 1/2 second), blending via screen overlays in photoshop. The picture came out amazing!

Sarah

Most reactions

Back