First 300mm lens. Is this a fair price or did I get swindled?

WhiteRaven22

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm fairly new to film photography (on-and-off for the last year or so) and due to the need for more range, I finally purchased my first 300mm lens for my Nikon FM2(N). I think it was good deal if it arrives in good shape, but I still want a second opinion about the price as it is the first lens I've bought for over $100. The other lenses I own are a 28mm f/3.5, a 50mm f/2, and a 70-210mm f/4. Any recommendation for future additions to my lens collection are also welcome. :D

Nikon Nikkor 300mm F4 5 AIS Lens | eBay

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I looked up the completed listings and would say it's an ok price depending on condition, maybe a tad high.

When I had my FM2N one of my favorites was the Tokina RMC 17mm f/3.5, you can find them used for around $150. My go-to lens was the Nikkor 85mm f1.4 AI-S but that is probably more than you want to spend.

Have you seen this?
Lens Evaluations

Actually I threw that question by the seller before I bought it and he is including the tripod mount (as well as the front and rear lens caps) shown in several of the product photos.

Seems reasonable....not a "screaming deal" by any means, but within normal range I'd guess. I used to own one of those lenses. On a good manual focus film Nikon like an FM2-n, it will focus pretty well; the viewfinder magnification and the viewfinder screen in the FM2-n worked pretty well with my 300/4 Ai, which I had back in the 1980's. For a reasonable price comparison, eBay compl;eted sales and KEH.com are sources many people use to check out the dimensions of ye olde ballpark.

For future additions there is one MUST-HAVE: the 105mm f/2.5 Ai-S Nikkor. A dream lens on the FM-series.

For a reasonable price comparison, eBay completed sales and KEH.com are sources many people use to check out the dimensions of ye olde ballpark.
Hadn't even thought of that, thank you. While this article which I've been using is great for knowing what is out there, it doesn't make a great price guide or any price guide for that matter.

For future additions there is one MUST-HAVE: the 105mm f/2.5 Ai-S Nikkor. A dream lens on the FM-series.
I will definitely look into that. My Nikon Series E 70-210mm f/4 covers that range nicely, but I definitely could use some faster lenses (at further distances than my 50mm) like this one when I have the cash to pony up, especially since I like those ISO 100 films.

I can't look on ebay at work so I couldn't check your link. Is it the Internal Focusing version with 9 blades? Since I can't see the add how much did you get it for?

I as at West Photo in Mineapolis and checked out their used non-IF version and it was in mint condition. They are selling it for $350.

Seems reasonable....not a "screaming deal" by any means, but within normal range I'd guess. I used to own one of those lenses. On a good manual focus film Nikon like an FM2-n, it will focus pretty well; the viewfinder magnification and the viewfinder screen in the FM2-n worked pretty well with my 300/4 Ai, which I had back in the 1980's. For a reasonable price comparison, eBay compl;eted sales and KEH.com are sources many people use to check out the dimensions of ye olde ballpark.

Great! Now there's another lens on my list!!!

I'm still waiting to see how the images with my tokina 100mm f2.8 macro are going to look shot on film.

West photo also has a New tokina 20-35mm f2.8 atx pro for $499. I was thinking about ditching the 35mm f1.8G for it.

I can't look on ebay at work so I couldn't check your link. Is it the Internal Focusing version with 9 blades? Since I can't see the add how much did you get it for?

I as at West Photo in Mineapolis and checked out their used non-IF version and it was in mint condition. They are selling it for $350.
Actually it's an AI-S lens. AI-S's are completely manual lenses, and if I'm understanding the wikipedia article correctly, internal focus applies to auto-focus lenses. This lens (with both caps and mount) was $160 buy-it-now (with free shipping) on eBay. From the photos, it looks to be well taken care of, and the only negative the seller lists is very minor dust on the lens. I already bought it, but had the afterthought of asking for an opinion about it on the forum right after I did.

Last edited:

Actually it's an AI-S lens. AI-S's are completely manual lenses, and if I'm understanding the wikipedia article correctly, internal focus applies to auto-focus lenses. This lens (with both caps and mount) was $160 buy-it-now (with free shipping) on eBay. From the photos, it looks to be well taken care of, and the only negative the seller lists is very minor dust on the lens. I already bought it, but had the afterthought of asking for an opinion about it on the forum right after I did.

They do make internal focusing AIS lens. My 180mm f2.8 AIS is IF. They more sought after version of the lens you have is the internal focusing version which also has 9 blades instead of 7 or 6. I also owned the 300mm f4.5 ais(non-IF). You'll love it. Especially shooting into the sun as there is pretty much no flaring at all!

Nikon Lenses

If you want to check on other nikon lens stats.

Nikon Lenses

They do make internal focusing AIS lens. My 180mm f2.8 AIS is IF. They more sought after version of the lens you have is the internal focusing version which also has 9 blades instead of 7 or 6. I also owned the 300mm f4.5 ais(non-IF). You'll love it. Especially shooting into the sun as there is pretty much no flaring at all!

Oh, okay. In that case, the lens isn't marked as IF, so I don't believe it is that version. If the 9-blade version is a rarity, I'd be willing to bet that it would sell for a bit more than this one did anyway. When I first bought an FM2N, I remember finding ones that had the sought-after titanium honeycomb shutters (The first shutter Nikon used to achieve 1/4000th of a second mechanically), but they were always much more expensive that the later (post-1989) aluminum-shuttered FM2Ns due to the novelty of the original titanium honeycomb shutters. I would assume the same would apply for the 9-blade lens.

I'm glad you think I'll like this lens... I've had problems with some shots being just a little too far for the 70-210mm up until now, and I'm hoping splurging on a 300mm will put a stop to that. :mrgreen:
Thanks for the reference sites, they're very helpful.

Oh, okay. In that case, the lens isn't marked as IF, so I don't believe it is that version. If the 9-blade version is a rarity, I'd be willing to bet that it would sell for a bit more than this one did anyway. When I first bought an FM2N, I remember finding ones that had the sought-after titanium honeycomb shutters (The first shutter Nikon used to achieve 1/4000th of a second mechanically), but they were always much more expensive that the later (post-1989) aluminum-shuttered FM2Ns due to the novelty of the original titanium honeycomb shutters. I would assume the same would apply for the 9-blade lens.

I'm glad you think I'll like this lens... I've had problems with some shots being just a little too far for the 70-210mm up until now, and I'm hoping splurging on a 300mm will put a stop to that. :mrgreen:
Thanks for the reference sites, they're very helpful.

They do pop up once and awhile on KEH.com

They usually aren't too much more as they made quite a few between 1981-1999. But range between $300-450 depending on condition.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back