First 35mm SLR

"They do things I don't like, they are slow, need constant control of the settings, they refuse to fire when I want (obviously they supposed to be smarter ?) because something is not right (be it exposure or focus) according to theirs "logic". Must be, that I am not alone here as nobody wants this electronic film bodies, K1000 or Spotmatic costs more in average.
I think, that film technology went to the point where as a hobby is not about just "taking pictures", but something more like real control over medium and for that relics and hand held spotmeter are just good
."

Never used those bodies or bothered with them after the price crashed on better used Nikon models. The "prosumer" Nikon AF bodies like the 8008s, N90s and F100 offered total control over focus, exposure, and shutter release outside of "P" mode--something I'm not sure you understood or used judging from your comments.

The problem with the "oldies" is that they're...old. Unless you're making a retro fashion statement, there's not much reason to believe an old Spot will do more or do it better than something years younger.

Last edited:
cgw;3010353The problem with the "oldies" is that they're...old. Unless you're making a retro fashion statement said:
O, that's the problem. :), Well, for some people it might be important.

"The "prosumer" Nikon AF bodies like the 8008s, N90s and F100 offered total control over focus, exposure, and shutter release outside of "P" mode--something I'm not sure you understood or used judging from your comments."

Never doubt that, they are not much different from digital bodies and they will deliver very similar experience. So, what's the point ? If you go hiking in the mountains you want to experience something different from everyday car ride, if you go camping in tent you want experience something different than hotel room. If you shoot film, why not to experience it at the core of own thinking ? For that, K1000 and hand held spotmeter is good. Well, all depends where from you draw your satisfaction.

for what it is worth I just recently bought an Olympus OM2n and have really enjoyed its compact size and performance. It's all mechanical except for AE mode, the metering was spot on with the first roll of film so no complaints there. Nice bright viewfinder and good ergonomics.

"Never doubt that, they are not much different from digital bodies and they will deliver very similar experience. So, what's the point ?"

I happily use a Sekonic 558 with my meterless MF Mamiyas and Bronica, but futzing around with a spot meter pretty much negates the simplicity, speed, and fast handling of a 35mm camera with a precise built-in meter and motorized film advance. The comparison to digital is bizarre.

Found a Canon AT-1 for a good price and read about it on Wikipedia. It looks like it could serve my needs quite well. Anybody have opinions on that model?

"Never doubt that, they are not much different from digital bodies and they will deliver very similar experience. So, what's the point ?"

I happily use a Sekonic 558 with my meterless MF Mamiyas and Bronica, but futzing around with a spot meter pretty much negates the simplicity, speed, and fast handling of a 35mm camera with a precise built-in meter and motorized film advance. The comparison to digital is bizarre.
What's so bizarre about that comparison ? Is not digital built for simplicity and fast handling ? Shoot RAW and fix it in PS ? Anyway, where are you rushing with film ? Especially with 35mm ? Those times are over, no one shoots it anymore for newspapers or weddings (with few exceptions ). What for you need motors and winders and what do you mean with "precise built-in meters" ? Does you meter know, what are you doing ? Or it is only showing you the average, is trying hard to show you the current value for "sunny 16" of the moment. You should know that since you are using good spot with MF and you have to make the decision by yourself. Or is that all darn boring to you, which is perfectly alright, and you prefer just to only press the trigger. I think, there is a point in that "making own decision".

Found a Canon AT-1 for a good price and read about it on Wikipedia. It looks like it could serve my needs quite well. Anybody have opinions on that model?
Did you have this camera in your hand ? Did you try it already ? I never had AT-1 but still have A1 from the same family. Electronics controlling the shutter went bonkers, so don't pay too much for that camera as once gone is gone, no mechanical back-up.

No, I'm looking online as I need to have a camera soon. The site I'm on is quite reputable and have had success purchasing used vintage cameras from there before. So are you saying AT-1 is less reliable than others and I should spend a little more on something else? The AT-1 is $35.

What's so bizarre about that comparison ? Is not digital built for simplicity and fast handling ? Shoot RAW and fix it in PS ? Anyway, where are you rushing with film ? Especially with 35mm ? Those times are over, no one shoots it anymore for newspapers or weddings (with few exceptions ). What for you need motors and winders and what do you mean with "precise built-in meters" ? Does you meter know, what are you doing ? Or it is only showing you the average, is trying hard to show you the current value for "sunny 16" of the moment. You should know that since you are using good spot with MF and you have to make the decision by yourself. Or is that all darn boring to you, which is perfectly alright, and you prefer just to only press the trigger. I think, there is a point in that "making own decision".

This seems consistent with the somewhat silly notion that "true" film photography has to take a giant leap backwards to the 1960s to be valid. I enjoy candid shots and street photography that the last generation of film cameras made a great deal easier. I don't grasp your aversion to those cameras which you think are somehow mysteriously incapable of being controlled. The exposure latitude of C-41 always made up for minor to moderate exposure errors. It's somewhat pointless to make 35mm photography into a joyless catechism of rules and procedures when manageable technology can actually make it fun and productive. I'm not shooting wet plate yet and enjoy the convenience and precision of the late AF 35mm cameras. Either you never figured out how these cameras work or never owned them.

No, I'm looking online as I need to have a camera soon. The site I'm on is quite reputable and have had success purchasing used vintage cameras from there before. So are you saying AT-1 is less reliable than others and I should spend a little more on something else? The AT-1 is $35.

If you like it and it works, shoot it till it breaks, then get another one. That's the way it works in 2013 with inexpensive film cameras. They're mostly disposable now---sadly.

I took a quick look on a couple of sites I use from time to time to look up old cameras, don't know if these will help you decide. Seems like it's somewhat similar to the AE-1 but all manual. I like mechanical cameras because I wouldn't often use auto features anyway. Depends I suppose on if you want the option for auto settings, but chances are for the class you'll probably be using manual settings.

Canon Camera Museum | Camera Hall - Film Cameras

James's Camera Collection: Canon AT-1

http://www.butkus.org/chinon/canon/canon_at-1/canon_at-1.htm

Wow, thank you so much!! My instructor replied to my email and recommends Pentax K1000 (out of all cameras) but also said Canons are good too. I may just end up borrowing his gear for some of the class' duration. :)

Don't know about the Canon film SLRs but they make sense if the OP is already shooting Canon (I don't recall if that was ever make clear by the OP). My bf shoots a Canon P and loves it - it can take Leica screw-mount lenses, too, which can make it more interesting - but that's a rangefinder (I assume an SLR is needed for the class?)

I have to give my vote to the Pentax, though. I've had my K1000 for 20 years and it's never let me down. It takes good pictures and the Asahi lenses are really good. My 50mm 1.7 is wonderfully sharp. It's just such a solid camera - so reliable that just last week, I dropped it on concrete and the top panel suffered a small crack on the side, but it didn't affect the functioning of the camera at all. The thing is a tank.

I've got nothing against the Nikons but between my K1000, Spotmatic, and seven lenses, I'm pretty locked into the Pentax system. Can't afford to build a Nikon one, but also don't feel any need to as I'm perfectly happy with my Pentax.

I don't care about automatic settings. Older isn't always better, but neither is newer. And for someone just learning, having complete control over the settings is important.

I've done well with Buy & Sell New & Used Cameras ? Canon, Nikon, Hasselblad, Leica & More - KEH.com and I think they would be an option later on to trade in and upgrade. Or to add to whatever system you choose.. (if you turn into one of these Darkroom Rat !)

I've purchased some stuff from KEH. They definitely have the biggest collections of used camera gears to choose from. 14 days return policy is a bit short though IMO.

I checked out the Darkroom Rat. They have some really cute stuff!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back