First 35mm SLR

I'm pretty new to film so can't really recommend. What I can say is that one of the reason I love about a film camera is that I can own a camera that is totally mechanical. All I need is my film. Never need to worry about running out of battery. For the camera that use battery solely for the meter, you can still shoot even the battery is dead as long as you know the sunny 16 rule. :)

This seems consistent with the somewhat silly notion that "true" film photography has to take a giant leap backwards to the 1960s to be valid.
:shock: Did I say that ? Or you just putting words in my mouth ? Your point of view on the remnants of the film photography is obviously different than my, no doubts. It is perfectly alright to be fascinated with technology and how it can help us. In photography to. Maybe you noticed that I never ask what camera was used to make an image, this is not a point of judgment, absolutely, but I ask for freedom of what gives me fun. What I propose is maybe not for everyone, as you said, some may see it as joyless catechism :blackeye:. This is curious since I am all about braking rules...just consciously. What I am proposing is to make out of this redundant film technology (even 35mm) experience quite different from mainstreem digital technology. We don't need to be productive with film, but we can do more, than just produce a good, informative image. I would like to shift from empiric photography and go more with visualization, more in direction of poetic-subjective images. For that, of course, any camera with manual capabilities will do. In one word I propose total reliance on own thinking, it may work for some to deliver fun.

for what it is worth I just recently bought an Olympus OM2n and have really enjoyed its compact size and performance. It's all mechanical except for AE mode, the metering was spot on with the first roll of film so no complaints there. Nice bright viewfinder and good ergonomics.

The OM2 / OM2n are electronically controlled. OM1 / OM1n are totally mechanical. You can even hear the mechanism whirring on a longer exposure!
OM3 / OM3Ti are mechanical too but 2nd hand prices of these are still high.
Olympus Zuiko lenses are really sharp & the bodies have the shutter speed around the lens mount which feels really odd at first but fantastic once you get used to it: you can adjust shutter speed & aperture with one movement.
I had a Pentax K1000 too, but it felt cheap & bulky compared to my OM1.

I used the Pentax K1000 through high school, wonderful camera to learn on and takes very nice pictures

Most reactions

Back