First attempt at a candid portrait.

Ahrk

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Snapped a 'somewhat' candid portrait of my neice and although I really like it I can't help but think I'm missing something. The original picture was quite cold so I attempted to warm it a little (only very basic knowledge in lightroom).

All comments/critiques are welcome.

$11682051846_d496edee4f_c.jpg

ISO 1250, f1.8, 1/50, 85mm

Try to convert this to bw an crop a bit tighter, upper part and a bit of the right part of the photo. I think it would look better. Why not to try? :)

Candids are not particularly easy to capture. For this shot, I wish we had seen her eyes more (as in the girl looking away, or something like that) instead of just being closed. The closed eyes and strong light makes me wonder if it was posed i.e.; not actually candid. As for the camera angle, it might be better overall if the camera position was just a little lower, or about even with her eyes.

I think it's way better in colour. The lighting is really nice.

Try to convert this to bw an crop a bit tighter, upper part and a bit of the right part of the photo. I think it would look better. Why not to try? :)
i like it but yeah does look better in black & White

Damn, that crop is spot on! Really pulls it together. I really like the B&W version (so does she :D) but I have to say I'm a little partial to her ginger hair :)!

Candids are not particularly easy to capture. For this shot, I wish we had seen her eyes more (as in the girl looking away, or something like that) instead of just being closed. The closed eyes and strong light makes me wonder if it was posed i.e.; not actually candid. As for the camera angle, it might be better overall if the camera position was just a little lower, or about even with her eyes.

Yeah I use the term candid for this one loosely. She knew I was taking pictures around the house but no coaching/posing or extra lighting being used (big window behind me); she was playing on her phone so I snapped a few, but I'm sure she was somewhat aware.

Do you think the light on her face is TOO strong? I liked it as it gave me a sense of angelic-ness to her.

Thanks all for the input, going to re-crop it when I get home.

Do you think the light on her face is TOO strong?

Yes. That was one of my first thoughts regarding the shot.

It might be simply a matter of personal taste, or it could be the wide range of light between her face and the background.

Well, at least you can keep on shooting this model, so start fiddling with the light every which way.

$11682051846_d496edee4f_kc.jpg

I was thinking something like this.

I love her freckles :)

Agree about the light

I think the shot as-shown is in the wrong key...meaning in this case, it's too bright...needs to be darker, more subtle...tone the lighting on her hair and face down in terms of brightness, and maybe lower the contrast a little bit. This is where the curves tool is so,so handy to adjust a picture's overall mood.

View attachment 63362

Hey Yahgiggle, assuming you did this in Lightroom, would you be able to tell me exactly how? I've attempted to recreate it but when I crop it (to what looks almost exactly to yours) it's almost like it slightly stretches her face. Also I can't seem to nail the B&W you have. I attempt to up the contrast (cause that's my uneducated guess on what you did) and her face just gets terribly white, doesn't have the same life left like yours did.

View attachment 63362

Hey Yahgiggle, assuming you did this in Lightroom, would you be able to tell me exactly how? I've attempted to recreate it but when I crop it (to what looks almost exactly to yours) it's almost like it slightly stretches her face. Also I can't seem to nail the B&W you have. I attempt to up the contrast (cause that's my uneducated guess on what you did) and her face just gets terribly white, doesn't have the same life left like yours did.

i just used Photo Shop to do a Unconstrained crop, Then after turning into a black and white i just upped the contrast but lowered the Brightness a tad to bring out the detail.

heres another edit i did i think this is better i had more time to spend on it this time.

$11682051846_d496edee4f_c2.jpg
63362d1388612341t-first-attempt-candid-portrait-11682051846_d496edee4f_c.jpg

Last edited:
Heres a color edit i did too, in this i was trying to make her have more better detail and get the color of that hear to stand out more.

$11682051846_d496edee4f_c (1).jpg
63359d1388606625t-first-attempt-candid-portrait-11682051846_d496edee4f_c.jpg

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back