First attempt at B&W C&C please!

y75stingray

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
hello everyone! here is my first attempt at a black and white photo let me know what you think.

B_W-TRAX.jpg

Cool subject! One thing I might change though:
I would crop the photo at the bridge (aka lose the sky), the reason for this, would allow for framing and allow the rails to draw your eye through the image better.

Thanks for the tip you may be right about that. Here is a revised crop of the photo, Let me know which one you like more.

TRAX-crop.jpg

y75

Try cropping so the top of the bridge cannot be seen and then crop the right side of the bridge support away. Also crop the left side to the pole. I wonder how that would look?

Ok I gave it a shot Pierre. I have to say I like it

TRAX-crop-2.jpg

I don't know, to me it loses the framing quality. But at the same time, I do like that the shadow of the bridge lets your mind fill in the situation its own way.

I don't know, to me it loses the framing quality. But at the same time, I do like that the shadow of the bridge lets your mind fill in the situation its own way.

I agree, The original image needed to be cropped but I dont know which one I like more. I like the framing in the first crop, however I like that that pole is gone in the second one. Maybe I will play around with content aware to remove the pole in the first crop but I doubt i can make it look perfect.

Yeah, the hard part about b/w photography is that it is content based first and second and third and then finally emotional (most of the time) so you really have to challenge yourself. But that's why we all love it!

I have to say I really like the crop with the bridge in it. it does add a great framing quality and It drew my eye straight for the tracks and back into the image. I do agree about maybe just cropping the left hand side of the picture to the pole . I cant decide if the right hand side needs cropped or not. but I definately like the bridge shown in the image :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back