First Attempt At Concert Photos!

For the equipment he was using (7D + 70-200 2.8) I would have expected a much better set. A lot of them are underexposed, clipped reds, or out of focus. Wider angle shots at concerts also add to the dynamic of a photo set.

These were all just kind of sub par in general, and I hope you didn't pay for them.

A few things I should clear up here...

a) Those are MY shots, Todd is the owner of BMG

b)they were my first attempt at concert photography, (I got back-doored in shooting an FMX event that was at the Mayhem Festival) and

c) the picts he has there are basically the "meh" shots of the bunch. There are a dozen or so shots of each band that he didn't get, including one of Reginald Fieldy that I'm getting autographed. Some of you may have seen it in my SportsShooter thread several days ago. ;)

I'm not in it to make excuses, Bran. I don't need to impress you, that's why I didn't share the good stuff. I need to impress the people that give me money. :twak:

Jesus, that drum rack is RIDICULOUS. :lmao:

I'm curious as to what you used as well. Were you in the pit up close, or were you using a longer lens?

I used a 7D and a 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II that I literally bought on the way to the festival.

I was in the pit and used the L because my old EF lenses aren't really fast enough for night stuff.

Last edited:
A few things I should clear up here...

a) Those are MY shots, Todd is the owner of BMG

b)they were my first attempt at concert photography, (I got back-doored in shooting an FMX event that was at the Mayhem Festival) and

c) the picts he has there are basically the "meh" shots of the bunch. There are a dozen or so shots of each band that he didn't get, including one of Reginald Fieldy that I'm getting autographed. Some of you may have seen it in my SportsShooter thread several days ago. ;)

Sorry man. No disrespect, but I'd consider rethinking the selection you decide to showcase to the web. I understand they're your 'meh' shots, but they're also your photos that every one else is seeing. Do you want people to draw their impression from a selection of "meh" shots? Or the ones that actually stand out?

No disrespect taken, Tyler. Always appreciate your input.

I considered that. My market is in motorsports and I don't know anyone from the music industry, and to be honest (no offense, Todd) the meh shots I put up at BMG are as good or better than much of the other content there. Yeah, that's a poor excuse I know, but I wanted to get at least a foot in the door while I tried to do other stuff with the rest of the shots.

So far it looks like the only thing it's going to do is "possibly" give me a chance to do some personal stuff with Reginald Fieldy and his family, who have seen the other shots. He is for sure going to get some of the signed by himself and the rest of the band. Should have that stuff next month. One of the guys I work with at my day job is an in-law to Fieldy's family.

Did I go about this right? Probably not.

But I did learn a lot and I am 100% satisfied with what I'm already getting out of it, and the possiblities in the future are pretty good.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back