first attempt at engagment photos C&C please!

y75stingray

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi everyone this was my first attempt at engagement photos and would love some feedback. I'm still pretty new at this so please keep that in mind.

E-14.jpg

E-12.jpg

E-11.jpg

E-9.jpg

E-3.jpg

E-2.jpg

E-4.jpg

The three main things that come to mind looking at these images are: Exposure, exposure, exposure.

1. Something in the order of 1/2 - 2/3 stop under-exposed and very mid-tone rich. I would consider a bit of a contrast increase to try and achieve some black and white vice shades of grey.

2. Cute pose, but consider the difference in brightness between the right side of his face and hers. A fill-flash image right (ideally a single strobe fired into an umbrella) would have really improved things here.

3. Very nice. I like this, but would suggest a tighter crop to put more focus on the couple and eliminate the blown sky. Again, fill light image right would have helped even the exposure.

4. Nice; could be a little brighter and would benefit from a slight contrast increase.

5. Fine; perhaps a slight levels adjustment to make the bottom third of the wall just a little brighter.

6. As per #5 and perhaps a crop to remove some of the empty space at the top?

7. Exposure comments as per #1; also try and avoid cropping the body in tis way. It would have been much better, IMO, if his whole left side was included.

Just my $00.02 worth - your mileage may vary.

~John

First number your pics please lol I hate having to go back each time to comment and count. I agree with tirediron. I think they all are a bit underexposed but that can be fixed still if you shot in raw. Im not a fan of sepia or vignetting atm so cant really comment on that one picture. Your posing looks good other than the last one. Uneven crop on his side compared to hers and you dissected him at the knee which Im not sure if I like or don't like. Good first shoot though. Location was nice and well lighting was a bit harsh/uneven in spots but that comes with experiece right. I think for a first time you did great. Are you shooting their wedding also?

I cant agree more on needing a fill flash in due time I will be able to aquire one and put it to use. I always shoot in RAW so I will be able to adjust the exposure a bit. as for that last shot having the couple off center I can understand how that can be unapealing, however I really wanted to get some of the path in the shot and give the photograph some direction. Thanks for all the great advice!

Oh I didn't post in the begginers forum because i like getting reamed by pros I dont need a begginers advice. Thanks again.

I cant agree more on needing a fill flash in due time I will be able to aquire one and put it to use. I always shoot in RAW so I will be able to adjust the exposure a bit. as for that last shot having the couple off center I can understand how that can be unapealing, however I really wanted to get some of the path in the shot and give the photograph some direction. Thanks for all the great advice!

Oh I didn't post in the begginers forum because i like getting reamed by pros I dont need a begginers advice. Thanks again.

You would get more advice from me posting in the biginners, because i expect to see pro shots in a pro forum and these are years away from being pro, sorry

These should have been posted in beginners forum

Why? If the OP was commissioned to take these pictures, he is then, by definition a working photographer. They may not be up to your standards, but this is the appropriate location to post them.

These should have been posted in beginners forum

Why? If the OP was commissioned to take these pictures, he is then, by definition a working photographer. They may not be up to your standards, but this is the appropriate location to post them.

1 commission does not make you pro, unless he is making 50% of his income from photography

I make 100% of my income from photography just not in the engagement picture/outdoor portrait genre. Dont get me wrong I appreciate any and all comments on my work. You say i'm years away? I now have a goal to be months away. I have thick skin and LOVE a challenge.

I think you did a good job on these!
I agree that fill flash would have really made these shot alot better!
my fav is #5!

I make 100% of my income from photography just not in the engagement picture/outdoor portrait genre. Dont get me wrong I appreciate any and all comments on my work. You say i'm years away? I now have a goal to be months away. I have thick skin and LOVE a challenge.

The basic principals are the same in any type of photography, focus and exposure ;)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back