First attempt at HDR C&C please

mike_rambo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys

Below are my first 2 attempts at HDR, both shot at Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia around sunset and without a tripod, used a rock instead. Any input would be great as i'm very new to HDR

8427657529_6ff8428037_b.jpg

8427657759_9779c92c3b_b.jpg

any input guys? It would be greatly appreciated thanks!

No bad in my opinion. They aren't over cooked and you good detail. On the second one, the lighthouse looks fuzzy to me. But that could be a combination of my contacts or possibly the photos not lining up right and the sun reflecting off the wall.

I think you've done a great job not "overcooking" the HDR effect. In fact, it is very subtle so it has done what I think outstanding HDR does- just increase slightly the dynamic range. I really like #2 and love your restraint in not brightening the lighthouse and rocks (I probably would have exposed them .5 stop brighter). These are wonderful first efforts.

Very well done! I prefer #2 as well, good composition. I love the snow on the rocks. It really gives some extra character.

Thanks for the replies everyone! Ya the lighthouse is a little fuzzy, the photos didn't line up 100% as I don't have a tripod yet but one will be my next purchase

Nice shots, ya..the 2nd one deserves a re-shoot. ;) To my eyes at least, the overall look on both could use a little less contrast, perhaps up the exposure a bit, etc. I also would like a shot where the lighthouse is the primary foreground object, perhaps off to either side, and the water expands out to the horizon / sunset, etc. Also the overall hdr effect is fairly subtle, to the point where you probably didn't need it to get these results. After you get a tripod, try bracketing with 5-7 exposures. I'm finding much more detail in my photos bracketing 7 shots -2 to +2.

The second one is pretty darn good, aside from the alignment issue you experienced (but you know how to fix it and plan to do so, so that's great!). I really like the sky. The colors are so soft and creamy.

Really nice HDR rendering :)

Yes, I like the second one as well. For the colors and composition.

Both are well done. The simplifying of detail in the images is interesting. What software are you using?

Very nice... some sweet shots! I opened the thread expecting the overcooked nightmares we often see... this is a pleasant surprise!

I really like these. I'm no expert, but I'd say you did a good job.

those are great i like the way you caught the clouds in the sun.. and the ornage colour to the sky... the snow is real nice too.. could be a bit whiter i.m.o.. but overall a good effort..

thanks everyone! I was going for a sort of hyper real result without overcooking it. I used photomatix pro and then re-imported to light room for noise reduction and some minor final adjustments.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back