First attempt at HDR

chuckeb

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
This is my first attempt at HDR photography. Any input would be appreciated.
$9233326164_91a554057b_b_d.jpg

Seems a little underexposed. How many exposures did you take?

I used the camera's setting. I think it did 3. It's been over 110 a lot here so I'm waiting to go up north, or the weather cools to play much.

I agree that it's a bit underexposed. Work on that, and I think it'll be fine.

For me, HDR is every bit as much about texture as it is light, and you've got "texture" in spades, with the cactus, the rocks and the bricks. I might try to shoot it so it comes across a bit more dynamic, but this isn't bad...

Looks to me like it did not need HDR in the first place as the dynamic range if the scene can be captured fine with one exposure.

Thank you. That helps. I don't fully get the HDR concept yet I guess. I"ll keep playing.

I don't fully get the HDR concept yet I guess. I"ll keep playing.

A good thing to learn before "playing"

HDR stands for High Dynamic Range. Dynamic Range is the difference between the the brightest part of an image and the darkest part of the image. The digital sensors in cameras are only able to capture limited amount of dynamic range. HDR or High dynamic range is used to increase the amount of dynamic range you have in your final image.

Let me rephrase. I was a pro videographer for almost 20 years. Framing I get. In video we think in different terms. Contrast ratio might be the closest to dynamic range. I think... transitioning back to photo after being away since my late teens means learning a lot. Dynamic range has yet to fully compute in my brain. Therefore HDR is still a bit above me. I'm learning though. Btw I have no desire to go pro. This is for fun!

Sorry for the pissy tone... did some reading... I think I have an idea of what HDR is. If I'm understanding. Some shots we want have lights and darks that are so far apart that one is lost when setting for the other. HDR lets us get both in the same shot. Please correct me if I am still off.

Take a look at some of my desert hdr landscapes, I like allot is depth and POP. Try going out early or just before sunset you can still find much to shoot when It's 110 out

I think I have an idea of what HDR is. If I'm understanding. Some shots we want have lights and darks that are so far apart that one is lost when setting for the other. HDR lets us get both in the same shot. Please correct me if I am still off.

Yea that's ruffly it. The best way to understand dynamic range (and sadly this is something that all the new photographers these days do not learn) is to understand the Zone System (it was designed for black and white but it works in color also). The zone system is a scale from 0 to 10 with 0 being pure black, 10 being pure white with numeral gray being zone 5.

Interesting. Most people, when they venture into HDR, wildly overdo it, and produce garish images with neon green grass and halos everywhere. You've gone the other direction and did something quiet and understated. Not bad. The best application for HDR is something with a range of illumination that is too wide for you camera to handle normally. HDR can let you get everything properly exposed.

I mostly use HDR to do that, and many of my HDRs "don't look like HDR." Just my inclination.

Thank you, Barbarian. I appreciate all the CC! I'll keep that in mind (understated vs. too much.) After HDR, ill venture into monochrome.

Most reactions

Back