First attempt at light trails in a tunnel

I think the first is best still regardless of the faintness of the trail, i think the issue is is you need alot darker tunnel?

This was my first reaction as well. Or maybe it could be possible to set up outside the tunnel and capture the car going into the tunnel and through it?? I'll put on a couple of photos I took last year (these are also my first attempts) to illustrate what I mean about making the tunnel seem darker to the camera by standing outside it so the trails appear bolder in the photo. Anyway, hopefully this helps.

1298tunnelviewtaillights.jpg

1296tunnelviewtaillights.jpg

White balance is still way off. See how everything is orange? Can you post the RAW?

That's really how the tunnel looks--no joke. What you see in the pics is how it looks to the eye. The RAW looks SUPER similar to the first one I posted. I only upped the blacks and the red to try to made the tail lights stand out more.

It's orange because of the lighting? i think it looks good with the orange light

Yep, that's how the tunnel is, and that's what made me want to take some pictures in there. I think it looks cool....it's like grunge/amber lighting. It's a VERY old tunnel.

That tunnel is probably that color. LOTS of the older tunnels look that orangish tint because of the lights that they use. It is supposed to be easier on the eyes as you go through.

Yeah this tunnel is really old and that's what the lighting actually looks like to the eyes. What you see in the pictures is what it looks like.

I think the first is best still regardless of the faintness of the trail, i think the issue is is you need alot darker tunnel?

This was my first reaction as well. Or maybe it could be possible to set up outside the tunnel and capture the car going into the tunnel and through it?? I'll put on a couple of photos I took last year (these are also my first attempts) to illustrate what I mean about making the tunnel seem darker to the camera by standing outside it so the trails appear bolder in the photo. Anyway, hopefully this helps.

1298tunnelviewtaillights.jpg

1296tunnelviewtaillights.jpg

Thanks, that helps! I do like the idea of a darker tunnel for light trails. I really liked the look of this tunnel, but also wanted to try light trails, and I think I just tried to kill two birds with one stone. I realize now that this tunnel was not the best for this haha -- too bright!

If you step out of the tunnel, you may be able to get something similar to what I did (but maybe better! :D ) because you'd probably have more contrast, that's all I'm saying. Or failing that, maybe you could take photos with light trails of headlights, with the different color creating contrast.

Most reactions

Back