First attempt at Macro

burstintoflame81

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
These were taken today using a Canon 50mm USM f/1.4 mounted on a 36mm Kenko extension tube and is my first attempt at Macro. These were done hand held as well, so I am sure I could get more crisp of focus with my tripod. I know that they aren't anything ground breaking in terms of creativity or whatnot. I also realize there are a few blown out spots. I was using my Sunpak handheld with a non-ttl wireless trigger so it was a bit of a guessing game and I need to learn to read the histogram more as opposed to looking at the LCD and thinking its all good. Does anyone have any other advice or thoughts?

1)

RedFlower.jpg

2)
PinkFlower.jpg

3)
YellowFlower.jpg

4)
Ants.jpg

Last edited:
In one of the books i read the tip they gave for exposure was to take a shot and use the RGB histogram. See what color is closes to the right edge. Then adjust for that. They said to get it as close to the right edge with out having it touching it. I like the flower pics. One thing i think that always looks good on flowers is water dropplets. You could take a squirt bottle with you and spray them with water. Just an idea.

Thanks guys. Yeah, I thought about the water drops thing, but I was out on a walk when I took these. I only had a lowepro 100AW backpack with my flash, triggers, extra extension tubes, and teleconverter. I need to get a bigger backpack so that I can take everything and even strap on my tripod. Maybe I can find a tiny little spray gun or water gun to carry along with me.

I am thinking you did not need to use the flash, you have fast glass.

Yeah, the glass is fast on its own, but when directly over the ant hole ( and the location that I found the flowers ) I did not have direct light or was casting a shadow. Also, for DOF purposes, I had to really stop down. But I was doing this hand held, so I was trying to steady and aim the camera, and also hold the flash the correct distance with the correct power setting. ( and there was a breeze to boot. ) These flower pics composure-wise, wasn't totally planned, but turned out great. I was just snapping a few as the wind moved the flowers, and a few of these were a result of that. ( the only one that was cropped, was the Ant shot. )

Most reactions

New Topics

Back