First attempt at off camera flash..

imagesliveon

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.imagesliveon.co.uk
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Finally got around to playing with the flash off the camera. I have read numerous threads here and elsewhere where I have managed to used tips given on other threads. Anyway here is my first attempt. Generally I must say I am pleased with these first results.

I used my willing assistants (My children) to help out.. :confused:

Would love to hear you thoughts on these shots please guys and further tips on improvement :hail::hail:. They have all had a little post processing in PS adjusting details and shadows.

Oliver by Simon Clarkson Photography, on Flickr

Hamish and Oliver by Simon Clarkson Photography, on Flickr

Regards

Simon

What were you using to diffuse the light? The harsh shadows casted by the subject is distracting to me. If I had to choose one I would pick the 2nd image. Though, none of them are terrible for your first time.. practice practice practice!

I didn't use anything to diffuse the light.. I took a small soft box and Stofen but didn't use either... I didn't mind the harshness for these shots especially against the grey wall.

Regards

Not bad at all for a first go round! A few thoughts: I think in general for single light images you had your light too far off of lens axis. I think also as mentioned, more diffusion would have helped give a better wrap and gentler fall-off, especially on the faces. Move your lights closer in as well - the closer the light, the softer the light.

I think #2 is a really great shot, and I think the harsh shadow works very well in this case, but it looks a little off-level to me. If you have Lightroom, I would try some subtle adjustments to bring down the highlights just a bit, notice the harsh specular highlight on his left leg, left arm, and right knee? #4 is another nice image, but it would have benefited from the use of a diffuser, a medium (~42") umbrella or similar would have really made this a stand-out shot.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back