First attempt at portraits

bigtwinky

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.pierrebphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
So as I am learning photography, I am trying my hand at as many different things I can. My wife's aunt and her boyfriend were in town and happily agreed to pose. Minor photoshop was done for sharpening (seems I always have to do this with my XSI :( ), picture cleaning and such.

While I know the lighting isn't anything dramatic, I'd love to get any C&C ... composition, exposure...

3449498707_6a1babd4db_b.jpg

3484953388_41f60a6e55_b.jpg

3450315050_9386debce4_b.jpg

4. A bit far out for a portrait, but I liked the mirror reflection :)
3450314984_9a149691a4_b.jpg

1 - portrait
2 - landscape
3 - portrait

i think the shots are great but would "fit" better if the camera was positioned differently.

1 - portrait
2 - landscape
3 - portrait

i think the shots are great but would "fit" better if the camera was positioned differently.

I'm not sure I get what you mean by different position.
Do you mean not shoot them from such a straight on angle? Or do you mean slight camera tilts so the overall orientation of the frame is different?
1- has a slight camera tilt
2- I shot the picture standing on a chair to get them looking up
3- pretty much a straight on picture
4- pretty much a straight on picture as well

Thanks!

i like them all very much. i actually get a love vibe from this cpl and thats hard for me to get. very well done. only thing i dislike is the crop in the 3rd pic cuts a tad of his hair off.

1 - portrait
2 - landscape
3 - portrait

I'm not sure I get what you mean by different position.
Do you mean not shoot them from such a straight on angle? Or do you mean slight camera tilts so the overall orientation of the frame is different?
1- has a slight camera tilt
2- I shot the picture standing on a chair to get them looking up
3- pretty much a straight on picture
4- pretty much a straight on picture as well

Thanks!

I mean that it looks like in #1 it looks like you held the camera right side up, right? I think the shot is great, but it also looks like too much is cut out, so maybe holding the camera sideways to get the long view (Portrait).

#2, same thing, but looks like youheld the camera sideways and maybe holding it the regular way.

#3 would have looked awesome if the camera was sideways, giving you the portrait look.

I'm thinking paper here layout here, lol, if that makes any sense? bottom line, i think the pics are fantastic but composition could use alittle more work.

Besides #1 looking like it was over pp'd, I like them a bunch. Good comp, color and exposure.

I've always found that for each pose, you should shoot both landscape and in portrait format. This way, when you are touching up the photos, you can always see which orientation works better.

Personally, I like the photos. I like the 'feel' of the them and the minimal editing done to them. Although I've seen a lot of photos that have been heavily processed afterwards, I like the ones that actually look like the photo/moment. Thats my opinon though. Good job.

Most reactions

Back