First Attempt at Star Trails - C&C Please

Ricky21

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So, this is my first attempt. I'm happy with it because it's cool, but seems like I need to adjust my focus. I have subsequently read some articles about focusing to infinity on the lens. Is this a good strategy?

Here is what I did.

F/5.6
ISO 100
50mm
Bulb for about 25 minutes

I tried to get the trees in there so it could have something in the foreground. Anyway, let me know what you think.

[ img ]http://ic2.pbase.com/g4/88/914188/2/138532308.TisfpSeS.jpg[ /img ]

Go to your image. Right click your image.
View image info.........highlight and copy image info line.

Come back here , right click and paste image info line, into the add an image button.
Then it will show up.

138532308.TisfpSeS.jpg

I've never attempted to do one of these, but from everything I've read about it, it recommends focusing at infinity. How close were you to a city? It appears that there is a lot of ambient light from a town, which is making the sky yellow-ish.

I was pretty close. Actually in my in laws backyard out on a ranch. But lights were near that I couldn't avoid. I would like to try to get way out of city to attempt

Any suggestions on how to focus to infinity? Is it as simple as throwing lens on manual and moving all the way to one side?

Any suggestions on how to focus to infinity? Is it as simple as throwing lens on manual and moving all the way to one side?

It should be that easy! Look through the lens when there is enough light, and turn it either clock-wise, or counter clock-wise until it's focused at infinity, or until everything in the distance is in focus.

It should be that easy! Look through the lens when there is enough light, and turn it either clock-wise, or counter clock-wise until it's focused at infinity, or until everything in the distance is in focus.

This is even easier to do in Live View than it is through the viewfinder, if your camera offers it.

But yeah, only certain lenses actually stop at infinity, most will go a little passed to allow for temperature fluctuations.

This is even easier to do in Live View than it is through the viewfinder, if your camera offers it.

But yeah, only certain lenses actually stop at infinity, most will go a little passed to allow for temperature fluctuations.

how do you go past infinity?

You could have picked a little better spot. The bit of trees doesnt add much. I read uping the ISO some helps too.

Most reactions

Back