first attempt at the beach

Kimba

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Took my son on a holiday to Syney and got some shots at the beach. Any ideas on making them better greatly appreciated.
taken with a canon 500D

#1 iso 100 50mm f/ 4.0 1/500 sec
3912051542_655244f927_o.jpg

#2 iso 100 50mm f/ 4.0 1/800 sec
3912051482_3f8fb8dce5_o.jpg

Second one is great!

First one needs more light on his face, you would likely need an off-camera flash for this.

#2 is really really good! Everything about this shot works for me.

#1 doesn't really do anything for me. If the focus was on the starfish, the angle seems wrong, and the light a little too harsh on his palm. I agree that some fill flash on the face might help this a little bit.

#1 - I've seen similar shots done a little differently and they really stood out. Get down to eye-level of your son, have him extend his arm all the way, get close and focus on the starfish. You'll get a shot that has the starfish as the main subject with everything else out of focus but you'll still know it's your son holding and observing the starfish.

#2 - Nicely done! You might want to try cropping the top a bit. And if you go back to the beach, try shooting this from a lower angle.

i see what you all mean about #1.
I'm glad #2 was liked a that is one of my favorite shots of the day but also one of the simplest. Unfortunately i wont be heading back to Sydney for many years but when I do i will be sure to take photo's in the same spot as where my son is holding the starfish is the rockpools i played in when i was 5.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back