First attempt at water drops

weags77

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all yesterday I tried photographing water drops for the first time. Here are 4 out of about 600 that actually came out decent. I'd like to hear what you think and any tips if anyone has any for this type of photography. Thanks.

$image-2499495804.jpg

$image-795537156.jpg

$image-2226070088.jpg

$image-1959121520.jpg

I am partial to the first one. Black and white gives it such an elegant look, in my opinion.

I would demystify the background color (it's too complicated and I lose the drop) and instead get the color from side piece reflections. A single color underneath works pretty well. however, that said, I have never tried this type of shot, and am only reflecting what I've read.

Thanks all. Appreciate you taking the time. I'm gonna do some more research and give it another go today. This was just the result of a quick set up after reading an article about it so hopefully I can make a few tweaks and post them up.

I really enjoy the second one...I LOVE the color and drop pattern!! Nice work.

Someone once suggested using sheets of art store Foam Core placed around the perimeter of the tank... and lighting those as a perfect white, smooth, unified reflective surface. It reduced the background distractions from the surrounding area to be one harmonious color and reflection...and it allowed the drops of water to much stronger exhibit their own patterns.

The image has some complicated composition; seeing the central stem and drop separate and distinct is the real power of such images; as of now i like it, but in a different way :D

Wegas77,

What kind of equipment or setup are you using to stop the action? (kind of flash, flash settings, special camera menu etc?) Can you share that?

Thanks

Ray12 said:
Wegas77,

What kind of equipment or setup are you using to stop the action? (kind of flash, flash settings, special camera menu etc?) Can you share that?

Thanks

D600 @ 1/200 with burst. Some were taken with the 24-85mm and i think one is with the Tokina 100mm macro. With SB400 flash 1/16th Nothing special in camera. Setup was in my living room and took minutes to set up. Just fire away and see what ya get. Focus was the hardest part and I've had issues with it still all day today. Played around with some different setups today with mixed results. Ill post a couple in bit.

Wow. I love the black and white photo. It's photos like this that makes me want to play around a bit more. I think I'll be setting up a similar photo later today!

I love the black and white one and the third the best. I am not too into the colorful ones though. I feel they take away the beauty of the water drop.

It was easy enough to set up that I'd definitely recommend trying it. Nice to have something that can yield some very interesting results. Here are a few I did with a different setup and sent through Topaz Adjust with some minor Lightroom adjustments.

$image-2859687357.jpg

$image-517564132.jpg

$image-1125257069.jpg

Most reactions

Back