First attempt in doing HDR Please C&C

mr.fab

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Here are a few of my attempt in doing HDR.

lighthouseHDRps.jpg

HDRCoke.jpg

logcabinHDR2.jpg

yorkstbridgetonemapped.jpg

cemetaryonrymal.jpg

sunsetcemetary.jpg

cemetaryhdr.jpg

8. This one I don't really know what happened.

crosstonemapped.jpg

Last edited:
Did you use a tripod? Some pictures look very blurry. I LOVE picture 6 though. Although none of them look very HDR except 5 and 6. 7 is just a mess.

The day I shot these pics I didn't have a tripod with me. Any idea what could have happened with the last picture as the orig do not have those marks. Thanks for the C & C

You have to play with your sliders to control the massive halos on your images and also the contrast levels. the last image looks like a tin can with holes in it what did you do

This probably sounds stupid but whats HDR? I love the photos especially the one with coca cola. Nice!

High Dynamic range, in other words making good photos 99% of the time look surreal and dumb. Google it.

You have to play with your sliders to control the massive halos on your images and also the contrast levels. the last image looks like a tin can with holes in it what did you do

All I did opened the photomatix program clicked on generate HDR image and selected the pictures and clicked ok and this is what I got. Did it again and truned out ok picture 7.

When you say play with the sliders to control the halos I assume it is done with the tonemapping? Which sliders would control that?

Thanks

This probably sounds stupid but whats HDR? I love the photos especially the one with coca cola. Nice!

High Dynamic range, in other words making good photos 99% of the time look surreal and dumb. Google it.

To provide a non-childish answer: HDR combines multiple shots taken at different exposures to better balance out the lighting of a shot (rather than having blown-out highlights or blacked-out shadows). It's fairly controversial (read: photography snobs don't like it) so you get a lot of haters around here that don't understand that everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Check out stuckincustoms.com to see some really good ones.

Anyway, to the OP. Yes, mess with the tonemapping sliders - especially the 5 or 6 at the top (I don't mess with the white/black point, gamma or any of the other lower ones much). It takes some practice to get them where the shots don't look "dirty". Put light smoothing all the way at the right and start from there. That one makes a huge difference.

A tripod will also do wonders - even a super cheap one. I used my dad's 1980's vhs camcorder tripod for years. It was bulky and only adjusted 2 ways, but it worked.

As for the last shot, man I have no idea. Never seen anything like it. You sure you selected the right 3 shots for bracketing? Maybe if we saw the bracketed imagines we could hazard a guess.

those photos are WAY overdone.. Well, not the bridge one. If you are using handheld, be careful and take the shots as quickly as possible. I auto bracket 5, set it to 5fps (ch), then balance myself and shoot as quickly as possible to reduce the differences between framing.

Play with your sliders. The images are too overdone for my liking.

Wow I wonder why you are prowling the HDR thread with that attitude. HDR if done right can produce a great shot better than the sum of its parts 100% of the time.

I'd say ask yourself how these look to you? Is this the look you want?

Most reactions

Back