First attempt - knife photo

Olympus8MP

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
thecodesource.solarbotics.net
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This is my first attempt at a product photograph. This isn't actually for Gerber Gear, just a pic of my favorite knife :D See if anyone can guess the equipment I used.

knife.JPG

What can I do to improve this?

Thanks

please forgive me for being too honest if i am......i hope you are looking for this kind of comment to help you improve

if you are not using a light tent...you should definitely give it a try...will give you better spread of the light....your current photo is more of a snapshot then a product shot

here is a previous post that did a good job on knife....you can have a look at the setup

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=69238

It looks like you used on-camera flash. To make it better you could use off-camera flash or a tripod and no flash at all. Or, you could retouch it a little in photoshop as I have done.

gerberknife.jpg

Fmw, what did you do in photoshop for that knife? Your retouched version looks great.

Thanks. I wanted to do 4 things.

1. Get rid of the color cast which is actually an overload of the CCD from the direct flast. Film wouldn't have reacted that way. The blown out area would have been neutral.

2. Bring out the detail in the handle.

3. Tone down the blown out area where the flash unit is reflected straight back at the lens.

4. Get rid of the background which was unevenly lit.

First the background. Auto levels to tweak the contrast. Then white balance eyedropper in levels to set the the darkest part of the background to white. Next I used the highlight/shadow adjustment to bring down the blade and bring up the handle to highlight more detail. I reduced saturation a lot to eliminate the color cast. Then I used the eraser tool around the edges of the blade and handle to clean up the artifacts from all this heavy handed editing. Finally I used a little burn tool to tone down the blown out area on the blade. I didn't do the last part very well. I didn't spend much time on it. It could have been cleaned up pretty well with a little more effort. That's Photoshop. It would have been better to simply light the knife properly and eliminate all of these problems at exposure time rather than doing a lot of heavy handed editing after the fact.

Here's a shot I made this afternoon of a black bladed knife. This shot got no processing at all except for a little bit of sharpening. If you light it right in the first place, there isn't much else to do.

bop589camo.jpg

As has already been said, there are plenty of things you can do in PS but why do that if you can save time and effort by getting the lighting right for the shot instead?

fmw does not like pop-up flash, with good reason. I'd say use it in situations where you have absolutely no other choice and really need the image, but otherwise do something, anything other than use that pop-up. For this you could use off-camera flash or natural light diffused in various ways. Honestly you don't even need any special equipment for this. By the way I like the composition, simple and effective.

Oh and good company to advertise. The 'Gerber multi-tool flick' makes you feel like a man, a man who can fix things :lol: I'm sure someone knows what I mean.

lol. There is no flash or light tent. Just hand-held lights and a custom white balance to counteract the off-white color it would normally give. This wasn't meant to be too pro, just a quick thing to do today.

Hey, you have to work with what you have right? :)

I read that article and I'm definitely gonna have to try that. I kinda figured that the original photo wouldn't be very good. lol :D

Look for a better picture of the same knife once i make one of these budget light tents :D

Thanks. I wanted to do 4 things.

1. Get rid of the color cast which is actually an overload of the CCD from the direct flast. Film wouldn't have reacted that way. The blown out area would have been neutral.

Something I just noticed, too. The knife's blade doesn't have a color cast on it. The blade is actually (titanium nitride i think?) coated, giving it a kind of brownish gunmetal color, so that is the proper color of the blade.http://www.excaliburcutlery.com/art/gerber/gb005b-400.jpg

lol. There is no flash or light tent. Just hand-held lights and a custom white balance to counteract the off-white color it would normally give. This wasn't meant to be too pro, just a quick thing to do today.

Ok, given that, then I'll comment on how to improve it. The real issue is the hot spot - the area where the light is reflected straight back into the lens. Whether it is flash or continuous, that blown out area on the blade is the problem. A light tent, as you know, would eliminate that hot spot. Even without a light tent, it can be eliminated by the angle at which it is directed at the subject. To improve the image, experiment with different angles until you get onr that reflects the light away from the lens.

Ok, I see it now. I'll be building that DIY lightbox if I can get my hands on a box. I might get a real light-tent from E-bay if I can find a relatively inexpensive and nice one

Thanks

Most reactions

New Topics

Back