First Attempt: Senior Pictures, C&C Please

sam0182

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Looking for some feedback please. Shot my first senior over the weekend. These pictures have not been touched at all (no post process). Unfortunately, clarity took a hit with the Photobucket upload. I'll have them up on Flickr later.

Thanks everyone...

1:

koba4.jpg

2:

koba2.jpg

3:

koba3.jpg

4:

koba8.jpg

5:

koba9.jpg

6:

koba6.jpg

7:

koba7.jpg

8:

koba1.jpg

9:

koba10.jpg

10:

koba11.jpg

*FYI, these were a trial run, the senior is already scheduled with a "true" local photographer and was doing me a big favor in terms of practice and possible portfolio additions. However, the senior and parents were extremely pleased with the raw results and may end up using a couple of the shots.*

Have at it! Thanks again :)

Last edited:
I'd suggest not cutting off feet and hands (1, 2, 4, 5, 7, 10). These look pretty rough without processing as most shots do, but I think they'll come out nicely. A good first attempt I'd say.

I'd suggest not cutting off feet and hands (1, 2, 4, 5, 7, 10). These look pretty rough without processing as most shots do, but I think they'll come out nicely. A good first attempt I'd say.

Great input, thank you.

I was doing a really good job of THINKING "don't amputate, don't amputate, don't amputate" while looking through the viewfinder, but I think in effort to capture some backgrounds, I lost touch. I've still yet to get through the 300+ shots we took and I think I can find a couple to replace the above with said limbs intact. I'll make mental note to stay more focused on this for future shots.

I appreciate it, really :) Keep it coming!

These are all pretty lame. The one where he's sitting in the creek....he is out of focus (look at the water to the left, which is in focus!) and way too far off center, and facing out of the frame, and on the wrong side of the frame...it's all wrong.

The rest are just plain bad...all the horizontals should be vertical (except where he's reclining).

The highlights in his shirt are burnt up (contrast is excessive).

His expression is poor in most of them.

Sorry...

The lens you are using has simply dreadful bokeh. In photo #10, the horizontal shot where he is sitting on a bench, and is positioned in front of a flowering hedge--just look at that awful, shimmering, nervous rendering of the background foliage...that lens in that situation produces simply awful bokeh. Same in photo #8. My favorite shots are #9 and #11, the ultra-wide angle, unconventional shots. SHot #6 is not too bad either--pretty good overall,total execution there.

I knew TPF wouldn't fail to deliver!

Good input, points, etc.

Keep it coming. I appreciate it :)

These are all pretty lame. The one where he's sitting in the creek....he is out of focus (look at the water to the left, which is in focus!) and way too far off center, and facing out of the frame, and on the wrong side of the frame...it's all wrong.

The rest are just plain bad...all the horizontals should be vertical (except where he's reclining).

The highlights in his shirt are burnt up (contrast is excessive).

His expression is poor in most of them.

Sorry...

Good point Derrel. Not to make excuses but I had not noticed that poor quality of bokeh in the original shots (perhaps this is due to web upload?). I'm curious to check them out on the originals when I get home tonight...

Excellent point out though, it looks poor and is distracting. I'll follow-up on this...

The lens, if you didn't guess, is the Nikkor 50mm f/1.8, shooting on a D200. Again, not making excuses for the equipment grade or the skill (lack there of) of it's user, but this is what I employed in case it assists with critique. Nikkor 10.5mm fish eye was used for...well, the fish eye shots :)

Big thanks! I don't have much access to straight forward inhibited critique. This is helping tons.

The lens you are using has simply dreadful bokeh. In photo #10, the horizontal shot where he is sitting on a bench, and is positioned in front of a flowering hedge--just look at that awful, shimmering, nervous rendering of the background foliage...that lens in that situation produces simply awful bokeh. Same in photo #8. My favorite shots are #9 and #11, the ultra-wide angle, unconventional shots. SHot #6 is not too bad either--pretty good overall,total execution there.

This is not a 'portrait', just a candid of a teenage girl at a festival:

0606039-R1-047-223.jpg

0606039-R1-047-223.jpg

See how I placed her body, so that she is turned toward the side with more room (in this case, the left). She is not facing 'out' of the image. There is more room to the viewer's left than to the right, and she is slightly facing that way. Do you follow what I am talking about? Her 'gaze' crosses the center of the frame.

Now, look at your first one...and see what I mean...he is on the right but looking and turned to the right...you don't want that.

Last edited:

0606039-R1-047-223.jpg

See how I placed her body, so that she is turned toward the side with more room (in this case, the left). She is not facing 'out' of the image. There is more room to the viewer's left than to the right, and she is slightly facing that way. Do you follow what I am talking about? Her 'gaze' crosses the center of the frame.

Now, look at your first one...and see what I mean...he is on the right but looking and turned to the right...you don't want that.

Absolutely, I see what you're hitting on here. In my first picture, his entire energy (location in the frame, body position, head/gaze) was being thrown far outside the frame. I think someone just shined a light in this dark tunnel!

Thank you for the example, it exemplified your point exactly.

0606039-R1-047-223.jpg

Absolutely, I see what you're hitting on here. In my first picture, his entire energy (location in the frame, body position, head/gaze) was being thrown far outside the frame. I think someone just shined a light in this dark tunnel!

Thank you for the example, it exemplified your point exactly.

You are welcome!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back