First attempt with streaks. (13 thumbnails)

John_05

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
ive been busy lately, so i havent had much chance to go out and take pictures of anything. i got some spare time last night but was pretty tired and sore, but i figured i would go out and try something i hadnt tried before. ive been wanting to try this for a while now, but i cant get to a place here where i can get good enough traffic to try it other then where i took these. i remembered the kodak i have allows me to set the shutter up to 64 seconds, so i gave it a shot (or 13, pun intended :lmao: ).
IMO, for a first try at setting everything myself without really knowing what everything fully does, i think they came out ok near the end. it was getting colder and the traffic was lessening, and my battery was dying so i couldnt try to get any more shots, but hopefully i can again real soon.

if anyone has any comments or criticisms, or advice on how to make these come out a little better, i would appreciate it.

the first couple i tried on a corner, but there was too much light from the streetlights, and the oncoming traffic, so i moved to the other location for the second set of pictures.
#1-3 first set

#4-first set

these last few are from a spot just off the traffic circle. after stepping down on the snow to get a good rest for the tripod (and probably looking like a crazy person to passing drivers), i took these until the battery died. i dont remember if i had fully charged it or not, or if it was the long exposures combined with the cold that helped kill them, but i will be sure to have a freshly charged battery next time.

#1-3

#4-6

#7-9

again, any advice/comments/criticisms would be very much appreciated.
i also wanted to say thank you to everyone who has taken the time so far to look at the pictures i have posted, and for their comments and help. after looking through a lot of the threads here, i hope to think i am learning a little, and also hope that what i learn from here will help me to take much better pictures in the future.

hey welcome to the forum. Im def. no pro but i can help you out alittle bit with light streaks. One thing thats important is to remember you still need to frame a shot. If you want to make a cool light streak shot you have to have a background and possibly a foreground to the shot. For example if you have some buildings or skyscrapers in the background it makes for a very cool shot. Plus another trick to light blurs is this. Set up the shot and then take it without trying to get any light blurs. You should adjust your shutter speed and aperature to what the shot would be without the light trails. Once you have this set get ready when cars pass and youll be sure that you wont over or underexpose your shot. Hope this helps, if you want any other advice on light trails and night shots in general drop me a PM id be glad to help

Most reactions

Back