First attempt with the Flash

danalec99

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have always been uncomfortable in using the on board flash on 10D as it usually delivered a 'cheap' lighting. But in certain environments (like for the engagement that I attended on Saturday morning), I have found that one cannot always expect windows everywhere. There wasn't even one window at the reception hall and most of the shots that I got were fuzzy. Therefore, the need for effectively utilizing the flash evolved. I know I will have to invest in something like 580EX/Strobes down the line but I thought of starting out with the on board flash. If practiced well, I think it is good for close-up shots.

This is the first attempt from last night. Inputs and suggestions are most welcome.

Thanks in advance.

CRW_3693jpeg-vi.jpg

CRW_3695jpeg-vi.jpg

For on-board flash, these aren't bad. I tell ya what though, one of the best investments I've made so far has been the $300-something I put into my speedlite 550EX.

For that 2nd photo, the pose and expression is great, but there are some hotspots that you might try to burn/heal in photoshop. Also, because that on-board flash tends to wash out so much color and life, I might just convert these to b&w and boost up the contrast some.

This is defenitely a wallet burning hobby :)

Thanks Shark for the input.

You can really tell that the on-camera flash was used...especially in the second one. There are hot spots all over her face.

I don't know the 10D, but could you have adjusted the flash compensation to -1 or something?

Big Mike said:
I don't know the 10D, but could you have adjusted the flash compensation to -1 or something?

Yes, I could and I did try a handful of + and - with more frames. But the frames which were technically okay had bad expressions, so I had to discard it. Will try more.

Thanks Mikey for the input. I dislike the flash effect on the subject. Don't prefer to drench the center of focus with light.

Shark said:
I think most of those hotspots could be cleaned up in PS. It'd be worth a shot anyway.

Do you usually use the clone stamp for these sort of clean up jobs?

You can use that or the healing stamp. If you use the clone stamp, feather the edges out quite a bit. You can also try using the burn tool to darken those areas some. But to truly cover them, yeah healing patch or clone stamp.

I will have to say that you can really tell the difference between an on-board flash and a speedlight flash. I was afraid to use my on-board because the results were not satisfying. I just picked up an sb-600 for my D70 and it does wonders. The TTL mode basically takes the picture for you.

If you can afford it, get a strobe/speedlight. They are unreal.

You could touch that up in PS, but its so nice to NOT have to do that, and just use what came right from the camera. In my opinion.

Thanks Shark, crystalview.

Are you well versed in PSCS? Is their tutorial helpful??

CRW_3695bwjpeg-vi.jpg

I did not attempt to heal the hot spots . Just converted to BW, played with the Brightness/Contrast.

The thing that is bothering me the most with the photos, is that the white balance looks off in the background. It's got a slight yellow cast to it, which would be fixed once you get that bigger flash)

tr0gd0o0r said:
The thing that is bothering me the most with the photos, is that the white balance looks off in the background. It's got a slight yellow cast to it, which would be fixed once you get that bigger flash)

Yes sir, I'm afraid it is inevitable! I have a handful of weddings coming up where I have the full liberty to play snapshooter. I should probably get one before that.

Thanks for the comments everyone.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back