first attempt.

RedDevilUK

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
this is my first attempt at the street long exposure shot.

i picked a bad time, i know that 11pm when there was hardly any traffic :)
but im more concerned about the amount of orange light from the overhead street lights, that spoil the shot.

lights1.jpg

Exp time: 13.4 secs
F no. : 22
ISO : 100
program : Manual
Focal L : 18mm

lights2.jpg

Exp time: 126.9 secs
F no. : 18
ISO : 100
program : Manual
Focal L : 18mm

is this the result of a bad location (too much street lights) or my settings?

Next time set your white balance to tungsten. Also, try to find a bit more interesting of a location. If you go more into the city, and find a heavy traffic area, it will make the photo more interesting. You need to be wary of more than just the light trails from the cars. The surrounding elements will help set the stage.

I find the second one better its just too bright, whatever digital matt said is what I'd do...

Your shutter speed was really too long. I wouldn't stop down so much either. I normally shoot at f/8, or f/11, and I bracket, starting at 10 seconds, and usually 30 seconds is more than long enough.

This shot was 30 seconds at f/8 I believe.

Going%20My%20Way.jpg

thats brilliant... especially like the yellow text effect :)

i think the morale of the story is to choose a busier road, not one where your have to wait minutes for a car to pass LOL

Yes, you want to be in heavy traffic. In this picture, a bus went by. I waited while it was stopped at a red light on the next block. You want cars to be passing you non-stop during your exposure if possible.

my main problem is that rush hour trafic is between 4 and 6pm... and its still light.

i have ordered some ND filters.. waiting for delivery, but that wont help in this situation, still light means no headlamps on :(

Isn't there an area where people go out on Friday and Saturday night? There should be plenty of traffic in an area with bars and nightclubs on a Friday night.

could always wait while the bars, clubs and cinema is full.... ring in a bomb scare... then get ready with the camera???

might even catch some blue lights too :D

oh... and some hand cuffs :(

but seriously, i will go out and find a better spot. and then hopefully post some better shots ;)

I like the shot because it doesn't have a lot of traffic actually. It gives me that "empty night" feeling. It's nice. The orange might be a bit too orange if you know what I mean. Good shots. I'm interested to see more night work from you RedDevilUK.

Most reactions

Back