First Batch

Teg

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Just got my first camera the D5200 and here's some of the "good" ones from my first day out. Obviously still trying to learn all the right settings for different shots as I've never had a dslr before. And I did a little post editing with the basic Nikon software/uploader to hopefully enhance them a bit. Any helpful tips or CC is welcomed. Thanks for looking :) Also.. I had to decrease the quality of the pictures in order to upload them to the site because they were too big, is that the only way to do it? TY!
$DSC_0019E_2_01.JPG$DSC_0027E_3_01.JPG$DSC_0060E_4_01.JPG$DSC_0090E_5_01.JPG$DSC_0105e_6_01.JPG

don't worry about the image quality, spend sometime reading about composition and after about light.

think about what you want to capture, what do you want to show... reading about composition, seeing photographs of the same subject but a better photographer will help you in your path...

others will say more

Hey, Teg!!! Welcome to the forum!! Congrats on the new camera! DSLR are a bit tricky in the beginning but I'm sure you'll get the hang of it quickly.
Not that you don't have enough to think about right now, but I'm going to give you a link to help you with your compositions. You'll be taking a ton of shots while learning your new camera, try to add a few of these ideas as you go!!
Have fun!!!
18 Composition Rules For Photos That Shine - Digital Photo Secrets

Pretty good starting shots!

On the topic of reducing image size, try exporting to a lower resolution. I'd put 1080 as the maximum height and 1920 as the maximum width, those are the largest resolutions a Full HD (HD+) computer screen can display without zooming, at least for the next 3 years or so. Actually any resolution higher than 500 pixels on either side is good. Then just set the quality to around 80-95, not much detail will be lost in that area.

Example:
$DSC_0549.jpg

You'll be able to reduce the size of your files tremendously and increase the chances that folks like me with ~0.5 MB/s internet speeds take the time to view your photos ;)

Pretty good exposures and processing for a first day! Pretty darned good!

One thing to look for in open shaded areas, like the second flower shot, is the white balance setting. If you shoot in JPEG capture mode, white balance can be critical to the color you get, and often times in shaded areas, the Auto White Balance system will trend a little bit toward the "cool side", which leads to an ever-so-subtle blueish or purple-ish hint. I believe in JPEG capture mode, your camera offers the option of White Balance Bracketing, which will allow you to get three different white balances for each scene, and then later you can go with the one you prefer.

I am impressed by the exposure of the daisies in front of the darker greenery-now THAT is a tricky subject! Overall, I'm impressed with the processing and exposures you got with the new rig!

Thanks for the tips and confidence booster =) Got a lot more work to do!

Welcome to the forum Teg. Nice set for starters. But I am with Maria, learn about photography, not settings for "shots" and soon you will swim like Michele in this waters. :D

Most reactions

Back