First C&C Help...Concert Photo

thrashmagazine

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey all, so I have been amateur shooting bands for about 10 years now, and well want to start getting more professional about it since my 10 years has given me the ability to pretty much shoot who I want. That being said, I was looking for a little C&C on this below photo of the singer of a metal band called The Haunted.

haunted.jpg

This photo was taken with the following: Canon 50D, f/4, 1/60 sec, ISO-400, 28mm. Not 100% if I took it with the stock flash or my Speedlite 430EX. in shutter priority most likely (maybe auto though).

I seem to get my best results shooting in Shutter Priority, since most concerts are no flash/ALL DARK and strobe lights. Its fun though. I am just looking for ideas with Lightroom or Photoshop about what professionals or anyone with a creative touch would do to make this photo stand out. Also, let me know if you even like it! This is my first official post here :)

I think that shot looks pretty good. Looks like you were really close. His face is dead center of the frame but it's ok to break the rule of thirds.
Might have been better in vertical orientation, not sure - but he would have filled the frame more.

:thumbup:

I think that shot looks pretty good. Looks like you were really close. His face is dead center of the frame but it's ok to break the rule of thirds.
Might have been better in vertical orientation, not sure - but he would have filled the frame more.

:thumbup:

thanks for the kind words. I wish the rule of thirds could apply to 100% of my photos, but I am not fast enough with the camera to snap pictures while the metal heads are jumping around (I really need to start using continuous shooting). Photo pits at concerts are generally in the front between the crowd and the stage (where security is, so close is definite).

The only thing I don't really like about this shot is the bright spot behind his head. It keeps competing with my eye against his face. I'd personally crop most of it out and pull his face further to the right side of the pic. I think moiving it off center to the right would make the shot more pleasing.

For me, it's not so much about thirds as it is people generally look more natural if they are looking into more space in front of them...

Most reactions

Back