First C&C submission

bazooka

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Website
www.dirtjournal.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I haven't received my lens for my new (to me) 40D yet, and I can't wait to get out, but I would like to offer this pic I took a few years ago for C&C. This was taken with a Minolta 35mm Maxumm 300si. I scanned the 4x6 and did some PS touchup, mostly removing scan dust.

I've hesitated to post this because I do like the shot, and I'm afraid to see faults in it, but I guess I won't improve if I can't learn to critique my own work. Thanks in advance!

ChipmunksSmall.jpg

This is one of those shots where the capture and the subject really transcend minor technical flaws. But the good things beyond the fact the capture is really impressive -- use of the stump and branch for a natural frame, the subject being adjacent to the brightest part of the frame (leads without bludgeoning over the head), non-distracting background, precise use of DOF. You might get some 'rule of thirds' bandwagon jumper comments, but I think the framing of the subject in the center works really well. I like the way the light hits it as it definitely gives it a feeling of time as well as 3D space and adds a perfect catchlight in the critter on the left.

Wow, thanks! I also re-thought the composition (I took this before I had any sort of photography knowledge) when I posted it and was worried that having the focus more or less dead center might feel awkward... I'm glad you feel it works.

This picture is gorgeous, there is a small amount of blown highlights like on the tree on the left side, but the cuteness of the picture really overshadows that little flaw. Great capture!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back