First car shoot (10 pics inside)

Sideburns

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
A buddy of mine asked me to shoot his car...so we went to the back parking lot on our break from class and this is what we came up with.

It's a 1984 Camaro Berlinetta Star Wars Edition.

57_MG_333320071128-Edit.jpg

57_MG_334520071128-Edit.jpg

57_MG_335020071128-Edit.jpg

57_MG_335920071128-Edit.jpg

57_MG_336220071128-Edit.jpg

57_MG_337220071128-Edit.jpg

57_MG_339020071128-Edit.jpg

57_MG_339320071128-Edit.jpg

57_MG_340320071128-Edit.jpg

57_MG_340520071128-Edit.jpg

What do you guys think? All comments are welcome.

I probably included too many of the burnout, but that's ok I guess.
He was astounded by them, and he loves them all. He flipped when I showed him #10...he loves it.
Might have another one lined up next week...guy is gonna get back to me.

Nobody likes Camaros or what? Come on guys..I want to know what you think of these.

can it corner? ;)
It's a berlinetta, so it's actually half-way decent. It's lighter, and it's actually smaller than most 3rd gens.
But the topic is supposed to be my pics. I'm just trying to get feedback cause I've never shot a car before.

Thanks for commenting.

Your angles are ok IMO, personally I would have straightened up the licence plate for #1 and #4. Also I would have had him scrub those rims down, the brake dust on the front looks like sht to put it bluntly. That car is abused and your ability with a camera inadvertantly makes this abundantly clear, you are making good shots that are degraded by the condition of the car. I personally highly disapprove of #10 the driver should never be paying more attention to a photographer than what is right in front of them, this also plays into the poor ownership of the vehicle.

These pictures tell me that if you find a car that is coddled and babied you would have some very nice images.

Nice shots Sideburns, I like them. The focus and clarity is right on in all of these.

If I had to give you a suggestion, maybe you should try a vignetting on a few of these shots, that usually seems to work out well on car shots.

I dunno. But overall these are pretty good shots, nothing "amazing" IMO, but that's just because my opinion like photoshop-heavy photos lol.

Since you allow people to photoshop your photos, I'd like to give an unneeded edit lol:

SIDEBURNS_PHOTO.png

All I did was add a vignetting and used the sponge tool under "saturate" to give this shot a KABLAM! look. Lol I dunno.

Sorry If I bored you/ annoyed you with this long post. I am just hyper-active because I'm really tired. (if that makes sense)

Your more knowlegable about photography that me anyways Sideburns, so take my advice with a grain of salt. (whatever that means..)

the tires look a little too dark imo, i bet you were metering for the white car right?

The shots are good, but I prefer automotive photography featuring visually appealing cars. Thats car is.....not so much. Sick burnout though

Your angles are ok IMO, personally I would have straightened up the licence plate for #1 and #4. Also I would have had him scrub those rims down, the brake dust on the front looks like sht to put it bluntly. That car is abused and your ability with a camera inadvertantly makes this abundantly clear, you are making good shots that are degraded by the condition of the car. I personally highly disapprove of #10 the driver should never be paying more attention to a photographer than what is right in front of them, this also plays into the poor ownership of the vehicle.

These pictures tell me that if you find a car that is coddled and babied you would have some very nice images.

I know what you mean...but but for #10 there was NOTHING in front of him. He had about 500 meters to play with...and he was going maybe 20KPH at this point...but in most cases I would agree with you.

He also mentioned "hey maybe I shoulda washed it"...but it's the middle of winter and this was last minute...so I don't blame him for not thinking of it. Though I do agree that my car would have been a bit cleaner (I hate brake dust on my car).

the tires look a little too dark imo, i bet you were metering for the white car right?

Well, it seemed to blow out very easily, so I tried to retain as much detail as possible. It would have helped a bit more if I had a polarizer filter...then I could cut some highlights off the paint...

I know there was some things wrong with them both technically, and that the car was dirty/crooked license plate...
But he liked them so I'm happy with them. I suppose that's the most important part is that the "customer" was happy.

exactly, its all about the customer.

loving the sick burnouts.

Yes im sure it can burnout all the way around the corner !!!!

loving the sick burnouts.

Yes im sure it can burnout all the way around the corner !!!!

lol. Thanks Thor. Always nice to hear feedback from you...love your work.

Also, I'm sure he could do it...but we were trying to be safe...

I agree with what some of the others are saying. The angles are good and the comp looks similar to what you see in magazines.

I would try these again, but make the guy detail his car, especially those front wheels, and replace the screw in the license plate. And maybe try to find a green field or a parking lot bordered by trees to shoot in. That would be a better background than the traffic lights in these.

On a side note...what was special about the "Star Wars Edition Berlinetta?" If there is something special about that, i.e. special number plate, special interior, etc, you could focus on that to make the car stand out from all the rest of the white Camaros.

And to answer Jbs' question, no, it can't corner. It is a 1984 Camaro after all!! ;)

I agree with what some of the others are saying. The angles are good and the comp looks similar to what you see in magazines.

I would try these again, but make the guy detail his car, especially those front wheels, and replace the screw in the license plate. And maybe try to find a green field or a parking lot bordered by trees to shoot in. That would be a better background than the traffic lights in these.

On a side note...what was special about the "Star Wars Edition Berlinetta?" If there is something special about that, i.e. special number plate, special interior, etc, you could focus on that to make the car stand out from all the rest of the white Camaros.

And to answer Jbs' question, no, it can't corner. It is a 1984 Camaro after all!! ;)

I'm not sure...now that I look at it..I don't think I understood him right. I'm thinking star wars was just a description of the dash cluster...it may not have been an actual package. oh well.

He will definitely clean that bad boy up for spring...I may even help him. We're doin another session when it's warmer... I suggested he shave the logos and whatnot...but he wants everyone to know it's a berlinetta for some reason...lol. I'll see if I can convince him...and maybe those back logos as well. I'm sure it can look much better with a little TLC. I noticed the license plate, but it was hard to straighten it without tools, so I just left it.

car and driver named the 84 camaro the best handling car built in north america that year.

Thanks for the compliments.

I know what you mean...but but for #10 there was NOTHING in front of him. He had about 500 meters to play with...and he was going maybe 20KPH at this point...but in most cases I would agree with you.

He also mentioned "hey maybe I shoulda washed it"...but it's the middle of winter and this was last minute...so I don't blame him for not thinking of it. Though I do agree that my car would have been a bit cleaner (I hate brake dust on my car).

I know about last minute and now or never automotive photography, It plays in to what I said about finding a car that is coddled and babied.

For exsample, I found all of these wile walking where ever I had to go, these are daily drivers. These are not perfect shots but they're perfect or very close to perfect cars, in fact the only ones that had any advanced notice of pictures are the last two, that comming when I walked up and asked if I could photograph the vehicle right then. The answer in both cases was its dirty but go a head.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v371/battousaiofnphiles/Photos/automotive/100_2232.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v371/battousaiofnphiles/Photos/automotive/scan0007.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v371/battousaiofnphiles/Photos/automotive/100_1853700px.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v371/battousaiofnphiles/Photos/automotive/469-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v371/battousaiofnphiles/Photos/automotive/54olds3.png

The car you displayed here has a few very notable (ugly) spots from the way it's used and maintained that not every body can see, and not all of it can be washed away. Contrary to andrew07s comment about all about the customer, once you put it on display you are targeting a much larger audiance, wich I am sure you know, but with automotive photography this audience is much more aware of intricate details and spot flaws that the customer may not be aware of. As time goes by if you decide to continue automotive photography you will learn how to mask imperfections but that is for another time. :D

Most reactions

Back