First colour film......

PlasticSpanner

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.CheshireCatCarClub.Info
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Messed up! Yep in the long tradition of first time disasters my first attempt to develop a colour film has produced a very fancy orangey/brown strip of negatives!:lol:

So in an attempt to understand more about what has happened can anybody tell me what has caused htis?

Temp was spot on all the way through, film was preheated for 1 min, developer and fixer was measured very carefully, time was followed to the second!

Chemicals have come from an un-opened "kit" from Jessops! Camera exposes the film OK, film was loaded onto the reel in complete darkness with even the neon of the extension lead turned off.

The result is a blank negative with no numbers or faint images. So has the developing process over or under developed to produce this result? How long does it take for an image to "appear" through the murky negative at the begining? And can anybody reccomend specific chemicals or kits? - Maintaining the temp doesn't seem to be much of a problem and can be held at 100f for the developing duration (thermometer in each solution, not the bath)

Any help and advice appreciated :hail:

terri

Administrator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Photos NOT OK to edit
You have my sympathy - rotten outcome! :(

A completely blank negative, with no numbers?? Nothing there to post for us to see?

OP
PlasticSpanner

PlasticSpanner

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
Photos NOT OK to edit
I'm not too concerned as I suspected I'd be more likely to get it wrong than right!:lol:

The negatives are completely plain orange and transparent with nothing else at all. No numbers or faint images, no stains or odd patterns!

I spent ages last night looking through past treads in here but found more questions and suggestions than answers! :lol:

Is it worth trying a different set or brand of chemicals or maybe developing at a different temp?

OP
PlasticSpanner

PlasticSpanner

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
Photos NOT OK to edit
Everything was set out & followed in th correct order!

I did breifly allow myself to think " this is easy!" near the end so it might be because of that! :lol:

Is there an expiry date for un-opned kits???

Marctwo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.marctwo.co.uk
Even if the chem's were expired, you'd still have got some level of development.

It sounds like your film has not developed at all which is why I thought it most likely that you put the blix in first by mistake. I've nearly done it myself a couple of times - and I still haven't marked my bottles up.

I can't think of anything else that would give this result.

OP
PlasticSpanner

PlasticSpanner

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
Photos NOT OK to edit
Should I try again from scratch, making new solutions etc?

Although I kept everything seperate (got lots of measuring beakers & stuff!) with a set for each chemical, is it possible cross contamination has occured to cause this result? (maybe not all the developer rinsed out for the stop bath/3 change step?)

Oh! also could too much or too vigourous agitation be a problem?

Can't wait to try again tonight but I only have so many films to experiment with before I have to start developing/destroying the wifes films! :lol:

OP
PlasticSpanner

PlasticSpanner

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
Photos NOT OK to edit
Marctwo said:
Even if the chem's were expired, you'd still have got some level of development.

It sounds like your film has not developed at all which is why I thought it most likely that you put the blix in first by mistake. I've nearly done it myself a couple of times - and I still haven't marked my bottles up.

I can't think of anything else that would give this result.

:lol: I read about this kind of mistake in here a few days ago before setting up so I marked everything up with it's own complete set! ! (beakers, bottles, funnels etc!)

OP
PlasticSpanner

PlasticSpanner

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
Photos NOT OK to edit
Marctwo said:

If the film wasn't exposed at all would the numbers still develop?

OP
PlasticSpanner

PlasticSpanner

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
Photos NOT OK to edit
Can I test the ph levels of the solutions to make sure that blix wasn't put into the dev bottle and vice versa by blind mistake? It shouldn't have & I'm 99% sure it hasn't but I'd like to know what has gone wrong!

(Who knows what daft error I've made!:lol: )

Marctwo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.marctwo.co.uk
No, none of that would cause a complete lack of development. If you contaminated your developer solution with fix, that would effect things but you sound like you've avoided this and I think you'd have got at least some development anyway.

I'd get a new film and in blackout conditions, pull a few frames worth out, cut it off and load it into your tank. Try developing that and you should get the numbers if you're successful. If it doesn't work then cut and load a bit more and try again with fresh chem's. If that doesn't work then take 'em to Boots. :lol:

I guess it could be possible that you got a bad/contaminated batch of chem's.

Marctwo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.marctwo.co.uk
Whoa... you're too fast for me.

Yes, the numbers should develop.

I don't know about testing the PH but the developer is the lighter one. :D

OP
PlasticSpanner

PlasticSpanner

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
Photos NOT OK to edit
Marctwo said:
I don't know about testing the PH but the developer is the lighter one. :D

Developer is the lighter one? Looks like the developer is darker than the blix! Are they the wrong way round or is this dyes from the film changing the colour? :confused:

Happy if this is the problem (feeling pretty stupid though!:lol: ) as I can try again tonight if there's a hint it'll work out! :thumbup:

Just doing a scan of the negs now!

Most reactions

New Topics