First dslr: Canon 1200D or Canon 100D

JZS

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hi,

I'm looking to buy my first dslr. I'm considering a Canon 1200D or a Canon 100D, but I don't know which one to buy. In my country (the Netherlands) I can buy the Canon 1200D + 18-55mm and 75-300mm DC III for €458,- and the Canon 100D + 18-55mm IS STM for €425,-. I don't have much money so I can't afford anything more expensive than that. I'm in doubt whether I should buy the 1200D with 2 lenses or the 100D with 1 lens.

I would take photographs mainly of the nature/landscapes, my family and close ups of flowers and plants.

Does anyone have any advice?

Thanks in advance!

It probably does't matter... the 1200D and 100D have the same sensor (although they allow the 100D to go up to ISO 12,800 and cap the 1200D at 6400 -- which isn't a big deal because you probably won't like what you see at ISO 12,800 anyway.)

The 75-300mm zoom is possibly Canon's most mediocre lens in the lineup. The 70-300mm is much better, but even the EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM lens (note: "STM" because there's a big difference between the STM vs. non-STM of the same 55-250mm lens. Optics are much better on the STM lens.)

The 18-55mm lens will be good for landscapes and most casual photos. Neither lens will let you focus particular close (if you want close-ups of those flowers) -- but you can add either (a) a "close-up" diopter, or (b) "extension tubes" and this will let you focus at much closer distances.

The "close-up" diopter is just thing glass "filter" that screws onto the front of the lens. It's sort of like "reading glasses" for your camera lens in that it will let the lens focus much closer than otherwise possible. The downside is that there's a very slight image quality degradation as you get toward the edges and corner of the picture (you might not notice without close inspection and you might not care.)

The "extension tube" is just a hollow barrel (no glass). It attaches to the camera body (like a lens) and then you attach the lens to the opposite end of the tube. This moves the lens farther away from the camera body. Due to the way focus works, this shifts the focusing range of the lens so that it's much closer than without the extension tube. It also enlarges the image a bit (sort of like position a movie projector farther away from the projection screen makes the image bigger). As there is no "glass" inside the extension tube, it does not degrade the quality of the image.

Since your uses for the camera don't involve anything that puts the camera performance to the test (e.g. "action" photography or "low light" photography) and much of it can be done on a tripod, there's no particular advantage of one body over the other. You may as well go with the less expensive option (especially if you can get the 1200D with just the 18-55mm lens and skip the 75-300 entirely) and then save your money for a tripod, a close-up filter or extension tube, and a better zoom lens (like the 55-250mm "STM" version of the zoom.)

Okay, thanks for all the info!

The SL1 is somewhat smaller than the average DSLR. If your hands are exceptionally large, this might present a problem. My hands are about average to slightly large and they fit the SL1 nicely. Otherwise, the features of the SL1 will provide 98% of what you will find on the higher priced camera. The touch screen LCD in the SL1 is beneficial IMO. A tilting LCD is advantageous when you are shooting down very low or up very high.

Really, beyond that, as far as the camera bodies are concerned, you are asking whether you should have spaghetti with marinara or linguini with tomato basil. The cook will make far more difference than the description.

Buy the superior lens for the same money or less. The 18-55 STM lens included in the SL1 kit has a nice close focus distance for nature work. The wide end can easily work for landscapes. Buy the tripod, or, at least, a monopod.

Canon has three single focal length prime lenses at or well beneath $250 USD at the moment. Portraits can be done well with the 50 mm prime which can be had for a song.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back