First DSLR for a guy who knows his way around a camera but never owned one.

cratskomodo

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I've been in the good graces of friends who always let me borrow their camera whenever I needed to use one but now I feel like it's time for me to invest in my own.
I'm looking for a entry-level, sub 500-ish camera + lens to pick up.
Been looking at the Olympus E-PL1 for a while but I think the fact I would have to buy a digital viewfinder turns me off, specially since I can actually get a DSLR with a viewfinder for probably the same price.
So, any recommendations guys?

There are so many manufacturers that produce good entry level DSLR's its hard to give you advice on what to get. I would think you should pick a system and then ask for recommendations from that system. The reason to pick a system now is that unless your daddy warbucks, you will not want to buy all new in the future each time you want to upgrade. You will want to keep buying the same manufacturer in the future.

Best thing to do, is think of what you want to do with photography now, and possibly what you might do in the future. Then look at what is available at each manufacturer you are interested in. Obviously if you have professional inclinations, your best bet is to stick with Nikon and Canon, possibly Sony. But outside of going professional, most of the other manufacturers offer very good cameras and lenses.

Well I've used Canons more than Nikons, so I would pick Canon over Nikon. However, I know my way around both cameras.
The reason I'm looking at an Olympus E-PL1 is because I have no inclinations of becoming a professional, this is just a hobby. It would be a surefire shot on the E-PL1 if it just had a built-in viewfinder. But since it doesn't, I'm looking around at other cameras for the same price that may be bulkier but has that viewfinder and at the end of the day take better shots.
The whole concept of the Micro 4/3 cameras are perfect for me. I've lugged around Nikon and Canon DSLRs and I want the portability of something small, which is why I'm aiming at the E-PL1.

EDIT: Like for example, the E-PL1 is $499 and if I purchase a viewfinder it'll be about $749.
The Canon T1i is $749 already. I know the E-PL1 isn't as good a camera as the T1i but the portability is supreme on the E-PL1. It's a hard choice to make.

Last edited:
Something to consider is your access to friend's lenses. If more of your friends shoot Canon I think I would be inclined to follow suit, assuming you have access to borrow their lenses.

A compact like the E-PL1 is a mirrorless design so it will not have a visual finder. A rangefinder type design might appeal to you though, but very expensive. I don't know of any other camera with a interchangeable lens, viewfinder, and compact body. The mirrorless desing allows the more compact form. But being mirrorless you lose your visual viewfinder.

I've been in the good graces of friends who always let me borrow their camera whenever I needed to use one but now I feel like it's time for me to invest in my own.....

If your that familiar with both Canon and Nikon cameras, it's quite possible your friends agree. :wav:

Did you know Nikon digital SLR cameras have color-aware metering, but most Canon digital SLR cameras don't?

Sounds like you should look @ Cannon... if your friends own Canon cameras and you've shot Canon, why not stick to Canon not to mention the ability of borrowing a lens every now and then.

Last edited:
Canon has a lot of good, used, choices in your price range.

On the nikon end, I would recommend a nikon D80--the bodies only run $300-350 used, which leaves you enough for a decent lens.

Nikon D80 + tamron 17-50mm af f2.8 should be obtainable with a $500 budget, if you watch ebay closely enough.

I'm just going to cut and paste something that I posted elsewhere:

There's little danger in buying used or refurbished equipment from the big suppliers like B&H Photo Video, Adorama or KEH.

Depending on your budget, a used Canon EOS Rebel XSi (aka EOS 450D outside North America) wouldn't be a bad place to start. Add the EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS wide-normal kit lens and a memory card and you're on your way. Add the EF 50mm f/1.8 II to play with shallow depth of field (e.g.: portraits and indoor non-flash photography), the EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS telephoto zoom to bring small distant objects closer and a Speedlite 430EX II (or an old Speedlite 420EX) to round out a very versatile but still inexpensive kit.

You could use the Canon loyalty program to get a refurbished camera and lens for a very appealing price directly from Canon. The Rebel T1i + 18-55mm kit lens for $480+tax is a great deal, for example. Buying used gear from the sources above is fine. Your local Craigslist may also be okay. You can track the new prices of these and other gear at cpw. You can also shop the usual on-line deal sites like Slickdeals to find when good deals are available (like Amazon bundling the 55-250mm lens with a Rebel T2i kit for under $900).

Having said all of that, the Noinks would tell you not to buy anything but a Nikon. I like Nikon's mid-range (D90 or better) and top-end cameras, but I consider the Canon line to offer a better value at the entry level. It's like Ford vs. Chevy with some folks. The truth is that despite the vigorous debate over gear, it's the work of the photographer that makes the difference in results. It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools. Even the entry-level DSLRs available today are much better than the gear that Ansel Adams had to work with. If you have friends or family who are already invested in one of the major systems (Canon, Nikon, Sony, Pentax, micro-4/3, etc.), the ability to borrow lenses, flashes, etc. could be a deciding factor in choosing which system will work best for you.

It's not so much about the brand of camera you use these days, they are all pretty decent. It's more about how you are going to use the camera. If you are going to be doing sports or photography as a business, then yeah it makes sense to stick with a high end Nikon or Canon. But you say your budget is $500 or less so I'm guessing a $3000 pro body is out of your price range (smart ain't I?).

My recommendation is to take a serious look at the E-PL1 or the Panasonic GF-1 (or GF-2). Both of these cameras are excellent. I think the main benefit to owning a smaller camera like this is that you are more apt to take the smaller camera with you rather than lugging a DSLR around. You can shove either of these m4/3 cameras in your jacket pocket and put an additional lens or two in the other pocket. I own a Canon 7D, 40D and a GF-1. I hate to say it, but the GF-1 gets used more than either Canon body unless I am doing a paid job.

You mention the viewfinder issue. I have a viewfinder for my GF-1 but quite honestly, I don't use it that much. It works well but I find the LCD works just as well in most situations.

If you do go the m 4/3 route, consider buying the Panasonic 20mm 1.7 lens. This is an excellent, fast lens. The lack of a zoom and the ability to do selective focus with a 1.7 lens will help you learn about photography and create some pretty good images too!

Most reactions

Back