First DSLR (Nikon D7000&Lens) Help!

AbyssHeart9

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Hello everyone, Im a new member and this will be my first post. Not only am I a new member but also new into Photography :D

Anyways i've been debating on if i should of buy Canon Eos 60D or Nikon D7000, and i've finally picked the D7000.(is the Exposure issue true for Nikon d7000?)
I know its a pretty mid-range dslr for more experience users but i thought maybe a mid-range could last a few years and i can grow into it and learn more.

Now the thing is i have been looking at lots of interview and reviews about it and the Kit Lens 18-105mm and about how bad it is..etc..etc

so if i were to buy this camera should i be buying the Body Only and pick a 35mm f/1.8 AF-S or 50mm f/1.8G AF-S? or the Kit Lens? If so which one and why? would it be a good walkaround lens?

My Budget is only within that range of 1k-1.7k

Nothing specific on what i'll take pictures of mainly(screw this, Main Point: I'll take pictures of EVERYTHING)

Thank You, Hope you guys will bare with me as I will prolly ask alot of questions xD

Last edited:
I think you will be happy with either. I'm a Nikonian myself, so I can't speak from experience on the Canon line, but they are all very capable cameras (Canon/Nikon = Ford/Chevy). Regardless of what item you're looking at, you wil find people who complain about it for one reason or another. The Nikon 18-105 is NOT a "pretty bad" lens by any stretch; it's a consumer/entry-level mid-range zoom. Granted it won't deliver the results of the 14-70 f2.8, but it doesn't cost $2200 either. In any but extreme circumstances you would likely find it impossible to tell the difference between an image captured with that lens and one captured with a much more expensive one.

My suggestion is that you go to a camera store (a real, bricks & mortar camera store, NOT a big-box store that sells cameras) and handle each one. Talk to the salespeople, get their input. Ergonomics is far more important than most people realize, and if for some reason the Nikon doesn't feel right, maybe the Canon will.

I'd definatly stay away from the kit lens. Instead buy a used higher quality lens off eBay or keh.com. The 35mm f1.8 is an excellent choice, 50mm may be a bit too telephoto for your only lens.

I'd also suggest the tamron 28-75mm f2.8 af as an inexpensive (<$300 used) pro quality all around lens.

Unlike a kit lens, if u buy a higher end lens used it will retain its value if u should want to sell/trade it later.

One thing nice about the d7000 is that its fully compatible with every Nikon lens made for the last 35 years, so you have a lot of choices. I personally use a lot of the older manual focus prime lenses, as their image quality is as good as new top of the line lenses and their build quality is better than new.

Choosing a lens is a personal choice and dependant on lots of factors, primarily what will you be using it for. the 18-105 kit lens isn't great, the 18-55 kit lens is much better, but lenses invariably are in the "you get what you pay for" catagory.
prime lenses like the 35 and 50 f1.8's are much better image quality compared to the zooms, I have both, rarely use the 35, i find it a bit on the soft side, the 50 however is arguably the best affordable lens (depending on your budget) that you will get and it works extremely well on the D7000, I use mine all the time, Its sharp as a tack, very fast, and quite small. If you can live without a zoom then this lens is a must have.
I've had my D7000 for about a year now, its a very capable camera, you will get out of it what you put in, learn how it works, read the manual over and over and practice with it. try not to leave everything on Auto, its so much better than that and you will have the satisfaction of knowing that you created the shot instead of letting the camera decide on the settings for you.
Ive never had a Canon DSLR so i can't compare, but honestly in the D7000 price range you will get a very capable camera that will serve you well.

A kit lens is not a bad way to introduce yourself to photography and figure out more specifically what you'd like but as you get more into it you will realize its limitations and will want to replace it with something better. Prime lenses you would be happy to keep for a long time.

I find the 35mm to be a more useful focal length than 50mm on a DX camera like the D7000. However, you can pick up the older (but still awesome) 50mm f1.8D for about $130.

And the D7000 is a great camera, you will love it.

D7000 great camera, nothing wrong with the 18-105mm kit lens.

Since you didnt buy the D7000 yet I would recommend you to also look at the new D71000, its not much more expensive then the D7000.
Saying that I have a D7000 and its an amazing camera so you will love it for sure!

I bought mine with the 18-105 lens and added the 50mm 1.8G and for now I have covered all my needs.
I am very happy with the results and dont think the 18-105 is such a bad lens, its not, it simply is an entry level lens.
If you feel like going with good quality glass then get what I am working on getting in the future the 24-70 but that will cost you and in your current price range you cant afford it.
Get the basic kit like I did and then move from there, you can always sell the 18-105 and get your money back if you feel like you want to move on.

Thank You everyone for helping me and giving your suggestions/advice.

now please don't get me wrong im not saying the 18-105mm is bad, these were just in the review i read and since i never used it, im not judging on it but taking it as a "Opinion"
and if the 35/50mm prime lens is better iq i might as well just get a body with those, so i can learn with quality and enjoy the process instead of leaving my new d7000 in the dust for not taking good pictures. It would be a waste xD

but anyways i am still debating on the 35/50mm, and for the 35mm users is it true that there are Purple/Green fringes sometimes on your photos??(Digital Rev reviews xD)
I am kinda leaning towards the 50mm lens as it is more quiet during focus and a lot more sharper.

Not sure if i want to wait for the D7100 as from what i know it will take at least 2 more months before nikon release it out
and i dont want to wait really xD i want to start learning

this might sound like a stupid question LOL but

should i get a zoom /Macro lens(once i figure out wat it is) as well to add my 35/50 w/e im getting in case i want zoom? if so which one should i get? please dont recommend me a 1-2k lens xD i'll break the bank just a good 200-300$

wat is this Sigma/Tamron lens? i mean i heard the name alot but never really got into it, is it good but just an alternative brand
for people who wants cheaper lens but with still the same IQ instead of Nikkor?

and wats a Macro lens? this is the only lens i had a hard time figuring out, not sure if its for miniture object pictures or just close still objects.

Last edited:
Macro lens lets you focus on something that is very close to your camera and is what you want for extreme close-ups or small things like insects and flowers. It is maybe a trickier lens to learn to use since the depth of field is so shallow.

A good inexpensive telephoto is the Nikkor 70-300 VR. Cost me around $450 canadian.

Sigma, Tamron, Tokina and others are companies that make lenses that work on Nikon cameras. In general the Nikkor lenses have the best IQ but are almost always more expensive. This isn't always the case though, sometimes a 3rd party lens will exceed the comparable Nikkor lens in quality, and sometimes is still cheaper. Just do lots of research before buying anything.

I might be wrong but I think the D7100 should be out in 2-3 weeks but again not 100% sure.

As I said either way both cameras are excellent and the D7000 will be cheapper.
I got mine for 1000$ with the 18-105 kit lens 2 months ago.

Most reactions

Back