First dslr photos

susietigger

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I just got my Nikon D50 and kit lens today. I went to my husbands firehouse and took a couple quick pictures with my girls. This is the first time I have ever shot with anything than a P&S and there is really no pp besides the resizing. So please go easy on me! :lol: But definitely let me know what I could do better :blushing:

lexiekim.jpg

kimweb-1.jpg

ilovejosh.jpg

audriefire.jpg

yeah I got mine off ebay for $228 and it still had the protective thing on the lcd screen.... and no signs of wear! It is perfect! I got the lens from a friend of mine who also has a D50 and he sold it to me for cheap :)

i just found a perfect condition D50 at a local pawn shop (with kit lens) paid 200 bucks for it.
Roflcopter - What the hell?!

Sometimes we need a little afterwork. That image had the slightest of blue color cast to it, and couldn't have hurt with a teeny bit of sharpening (although the sharpening at this level isn't so hot because the file has already been smallerized).

my.php

"smallerized" :lol:

The shots are kinda "snapshotty", but they're cute pictures of your kids. (nothing wrong with that)

The last pic is adorable. A bit of composition work and that would have been amazing, but even as it is, it's an awful cute shot.

Couple things to think about if you want pics that are not just cute pics of the kids, but also artistically nice...

- Try to take pics from heights other than your own- get down to their level, get down a bit below them, etc.
- Try not to dead-center them in the frame.
- Try to take up more of the frame with their faces. (leave less dead space)
- Try to get pictures of them when they're not posing for the camera. Candids on kids are way better- kids posing and doing the "look mommy has a camera!" smile can be a train wreck at times.

Congrats on the camera!

What manaheim said was pretty spot on. Theyre nice, but no style to them. Still like a kid running around taking pictures of friends. Theres no style.
The more you hang around, with more experience youll pick up some sort of style and idea.

What manaheim said was pretty spot on. Theyre nice, but no style to them. Still like a kid running around taking pictures of friends. Theres no style.
The more you hang around, with more experience youll pick up some sort of style and idea.

So basically, her personally style should be what she apes from others. Awesome!

Thanks for all of your advice.

I am 5'10 so I am finding that is way too tall to take shots of the kids haha. I am going to definitely start getting down on their levels.

With the one with Audrie in the fire helmet. What type of composition work do you mean? Like some photoshopping? I am so new at this. I really want to get as good as I can. :) I have Photoshop CS3, just not very literate in it :lol:

With the one with Audrie in the fire helmet. What type of composition work do you mean? Like some photoshopping? I am so new at this. I really want to get as good as I can. :) I have Photoshop CS3, just not very literate in it :lol:

I think what he means is something like this... if she was standing closer to you and further away from the fire truck, and you used a wide-open aperture to get better depth of field, and don't put her dead-center (use the rule of thirds), it would have been a cool shot. You would see her tack sharp on the bottom left or bottom right sweet spot, with the fire truck blurred out in the background. Hope that helps.

I think what he means is something like this... if she was standing closer to you and further away from the fire truck, and you used a wide-open aperture to get better depth of field, and don't put her dead-center (use the rule of thirds), it would have been a cool shot. You would see her tack sharp on the bottom left or bottom right sweet spot, with the fire truck blurred out in the background. Hope that helps.

Oh yeah That would be cool! Thanks! I will have to try it when I go to the firestation again :D

Most reactions

Back