First DSLR pictures C&C please

engineered044

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Went to the race track yesterday, here are a few shots. I am new to photography and this is my first time using a DLSR. All images are straight from the camera, no editing. Tell me what you think!

2009-04-18_SCCAEvents_006.jpg

2009-04-18_SCCAEvents_012.jpg

2009-04-18_SCCAEvents_017.jpg

2009-04-18_SCCAEvents_021.jpg

Last edited:
#1 is great in my opinion, I think a closer crop would be nice on it though.
#2 a little too abstract
#3 looks like you may have missed the focus, but might just be my bad eyes
#4 is okay but nothing too exciting

Good to see a car enthusiast on here, cars are my favorite subject to shoot, keep at it, great shots for a first time dSLR user

I thought number 4 might have got some better opinions. I personally think it is a really interesting shot especially the way the light is hitting the subject. Maybe a higher f-stop would have helped and brought more of the subject in focus, Oh well. And yes number 3 is a little out of focus. I just realized that I used the wrong picture for #3, I'll change it now. I'm not sure what the best way to set my focus for panning shots. I use a canon 50d and am using AI focus, but I think it's missing some of the time. I'm going out to the track again today and will try some with manual focus.

4 needs to be taken at a different time (i.e. different lighting) - it's impossible to read anything, and the subject matter and composition are both a bit boring anyways.

#1 and #3 are cool. 3 could use a tighter crop. Did you try panning for these shots? Its really cool.

if I knew what #2 was, i could give you better comment on it. Its too abstract,interesting, but abstract.

and #4 is has to much going on in my opinion, its a pretty cool shot tho.

Very well done.

Yes I was panning in these shots. I did most of my panning with a 1/60 shutter. I'm on my way out the door to go to the track again. I would like to get my shutter speed down to 1/30, we'll see how it goes. I'll post the results in a new thread when I get home.

neato, ive wanted to try panning, but the only camera I have with manual controlls (as of now. I should have my D70 by wednesday) is a film camera (Nikon FM10), and I dont want to go thro a roll of film to get 1 or 2 decent shots. I just dont have the money for all tat film.....once my D70 comes, I will try it with cars going down the road, see how it comes out.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back