First DSLR T1i or Rebel XS

vk1115

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi people I am a beginner in photography looking to buy my first DSLR. I am bit confused with making a choice between the Rebel XS and T1i. I have looked at various reviews on the internet. Some say its worth buying the T1i whereas some say its worth getting the Rebel XS as a beginner. I was hoping to get some input from you all.

I'd go with the T1i if price is not an issue. It's newer than the XS and has video (depending on if you want it or not). It's a pretty decent little camera.

I agree. Xs is the most basic Canon dSLR. T1i is being substituted by T2i so that you might find good prices on it.

Yes, definately go with the T1i if you can afford it, it has a bigger screen, video ( not that I care about that, but you may ) higher resolution, and it also has spot metering. It has pretty ISO noise as well.

i was in the same predicament as well but i opted with the xsi instead. its pretty much in between the 2. compared to the xs the major difference is bigger screen and higher resolution. i'm not making poster sized pictures nor am i taking video, so the t1i was out of the question. the xsi is a great beginner camera, so this could be another option.

The XS is a good camera. I have it, but I am starting to feel the itch to upgrade after only 5 months of having it. I'd say go with the T1i if you have the $.

I'd definitely say T1i. Great camera, a lot more capabilities.

Another vote for the T1i, the xs is starting to get dated

I've been shooting for just less than a year and still use the xs. I still like it, and can't yet justify pulling the trigger on an upgrade. I saw it listed at a local Roberts Photo for $399 on a one day sale, and was very tempted to grab another, but didn't.

If I would have had a couple hundred more at the time I would have purchased the best I could, but the xs is fine, and the images I get are sharp. I'm not unhappy with it, but I'll wait to upgrade to a D50. I don't think I'd gain much going up to the T1i from the xs (i don't do video).

Thanks for the input everyone. To be honest I am a bit inclined towards the T1i and so I guess I am going to buy one right away.

You will love it.

I got my first DSLR back in October, and I got the Canon T1i. I ordered just the body and got the canon 18-200mm IS lens instead of the kit lens. Love the camera. Easy to learn how to use, lots of features, takes video and has a nice large screen for live view and viewing the pictures you already have taken.

I got a T1. Thinking of getting rid of mine. PM me, it's about 4 months old

What do people think about the Nikon D3100 when compared with the T1i?

I just noticed my previous post has a typo. I meant that the T1i has decent ratings on ISO noise ( low noise ) up to about 3200 I believe. The XS is a perfectly capable camera as well though ( you can look at pics taken with both on Flickr and they can both produce great shots. The t1i just has a few extra tools to help you get those great shots ( especially if you are a beginner )

Here's what I did. I did some soul searching to determine how much use I would get out of the new camera. I also asked myself what I thought I could do with the new body that I couldn't do with the old one. Then I did research. The decisions you make now may save you some money when it comes down to the actual purchase. I looked at a couple different models out there and compared features (notice I didn't say price here). I usually consult dpreview.com first then I check out the Canon website and look at various forums to see if anyone has any experience that might be helpfull. I also check Amazon because there's a tremendous amount of user feedback there. When I find the one I want to buy I go back to the above mentioned sites and check prices. I'm mostly buying used so I check Adorama, Keh.com and B&H but I compare used to new prices so I can get an idea of the markdown. I avoid ebay, nextag etc like the plague as they can't be trusted. All of this can take from a few weeks to a month or so but when I finally make my pick I know I'm getting exactly what I want. When I bought my camera body a few months ago I compared the XT1 and the TI1 (I think that's what it is) and determined that the newer one had features that I really didn't want so I opted for the older one which saved me around $200.00. Call me insane but if I'm going to lay out that much paper I'm going to make sure I get it right.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back