First DSLR

Ihasacamera

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have some research and talked to some photographer friends but wanted to get a few more opinions before I dropped some money on a DSLR.

I have narrowed my search down to the following:
Xti
Xsi
K200d

I actually tried the Xsi at Best buy and it was kind of small for me so I it narrowed down to the K200d.

What I am concerned about is the future of Pentax (in terms of upgrading and continuing to use older lenses)

Should I buy Canon or Nikon to prepare for the future

and

The kit lens that comes with the Pentax.

Is the k200d kit lens a useful lens? I plan on buying other lenses but it may be a while before I can afford to do so.

Thanks a lot for the info!

Did you try the Xsi with a battery grip?
I don't have big hands by any means but even so the body alone just does not have space for the small pinky finger - with a grip you get that extra gap and its much easier to hold - the additional controls for portrate mode shooting and extra battery space are also fantastic things to have.

As for Pentax I don't know if this is just a UK only problem, but Jessopes (who are the major photography chain retailer) have stopped stocking any pentax merchandise. This is not a good sign for pentax and it might be that its an indecation that they are currently not a good option for long term reliabilty.
It could just be a UK only thing or just Jessopes and pentax not liking each other - but it could be more. I am not a pentax shooter so I don't have an ear out for news about them

+1 on battery grip. Canon and Nikon have the upper hand in the DSLR market, I wouldn't invest money into anything else.
You could consider a Nikon D40 or D60 for the same price of an XSi. Both brands are near equal on the lower end. Though, Canon's lenses are slightly cheaper than Nikon's and they have a better selection of prime lenses. ;)

Though, Canon's lenses are slightly cheaper than Nikon's and they have a better selection of prime lenses. ;)

Where did you hear that Canon were sharper than Nikon?
I won't argue on the prime lens front simply as I hear from both sides always wanting upgraded lenses - but sharpness the only thing I can think of is that canon got IS (image stabalisation) before Nikon did and that might have lead to a few years when canon gear was able to get a sharper handheld shot at slower shutter speeds (on selected lenses) than Nikon, but that is clearly not the case now.

Also the Olympus 4/3rds DSLR system is looking to be a very interesting format and has some good pro end glass for it as well as support from good 3rd party manufacturers such as sigma to provide a more budget line of options.

I may have misunderstood but I believe MoonBaby said cheaper and not sharper :)

took my wife to best buy and she said she actually liked the canon rebel bodies better than the Nikon 60/80/90 so we are either going to get the xti xs or xsi.

I have heard that the xti kit lens is not good. How is the one packaged with the xs? I can't find the xs body for sale without the kit lens.

I do like the idea of the battery grip. Will fit better in my bigger hands :)

Thanks for the help so far

I am planning on the XS in a few weeks. A kit lens is a Kit lens... ya it will get you started... but if your looking to get serious... your going to need different, better glass. the 50mm 1.8 is a great first lens, inexpensive and really clear and sharp from what I hear.

I tend to harp on this ... but don't use feel as a prime criteria for choosing a camera. Remember that when you buy a dSLR you are actually choosing a camera system not just a camera alone.

1) Image Quality (IQ)
Generally, all new dSLRs, regardless of maker and price, will deliver an image up to an 8x10 without any significant difference in IQ (at ISO of less than 400). At sizes greater 8x10 and at elevated ISO differences will start to become visible to the human eye.

IQ at elevated ISO. If you plan to shoot available light in low light, then CMOS sensors are significantly superior to CCD sensors in delivery an image with minimal noise/less noise. CMOS is only available on Nikon's more expensive cameras ... D90 and higher. CMOS sensors are on all of Canon's cameras.

2) Capability
For the average photog, Canon and Nikon will easily satisfy all the hardware needs to capture the image the average photog desires. But, (the big but), if you have special needs, i.e. astro photography or macro photography or infrared, et cetera ... then make sure the camera maker has the hardware you require to pursue your photography to its fullest.

I have a friend who shoots with "primes" only ... and did a "dream" camera/lens list for Nikon. He was amazed with the lack of primes (fast primes) that Nikon has available. In particular, with wide fast primes, Nikon is way behind Canon.

3) Capacity/Affordability
All things being equal ... and if you are concerned about how much cluck you're getting for the buck ... compare prices of identical hardware to identical hardware between camera and lens manufacturers. Canon tends have better prices for like equipment. You see any difference in performance between a Nikkor lens and a Canon lens.

4) Feel
All else being equal ... then go for the "feel" test of what feels best to you. Generally, since modern cameras are all designed around the human hand, one can easily adapt between different manufacturers and layouts quite easily. There is always the exception of someone who cannot for the life of him/her navigate the Nikon menus or deal with Canon's big wheel.

All that feel business becomes mute, because once you raise the viewfinder to your eye the only feel you have is in you eye and the shutter release finger.

5) Looks and Ego
For some this is #1 ... but in my opinion Nikon is far more sexy than the clunky Canon in appearance (but that Tupperware thing on the LCD has got to go) ... but a big white lens is always cool too. There is a saying that Nikon is the best camera designed by photographers and Canon the best camera designed by engineers.

Gary

but in my opinion Nikon is far more sexy than the clunky Canon in appearance (but that Tupperware thing on the LCD has got to go) ... but a big white lens is always cool too. There is a saying that Nikon is the best camera designed by photographers and Canon the best camera designed by engineers.

Gary

I can't agree more! This was my ultimate reason for getting a Nikon. The Cannons feel like cheap toys to me ( I Know absolutely they are not). But the Nikon just felt better and more secure in my hand, and I like the button placements more as well. It's all personal preference, but I would recommend a Cannon or Nikon to anyone.

I can't agree more! This was my ultimate reason for getting a Nikon. The Cannons feel like cheap toys to me ( I Know absolutely they are not). But the Nikon just felt better and more secure in my hand, and I like the button placements more as well. It's all personal preference, but I would recommend a Cannon or Nikon to anyone.
Unless you're using it as a jab there is only 1 n in Canon. :lol:

Most reactions

New Topics

Back