First DSLR

jdh313

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am looking for my first DSLR. I mainly shoot landscapes especially nautical scenes. I also shoot low light situations which is why i plan to upgrade. The cameras i am looking at are the Canon Rebel xs, the Nikon D3000 and the Pentax K-x. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated along with your opinions. Any information would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you in advanced.

I just purchased my first and I went with the Nikon D3000. I went into a store and held the Canon Rebel and hated it.. but thats me.

Low light? I'd opt for the D5000, it's MUCH better in low light than the D3000 (different sensors, CCD vs CMOS). D5000 also has an intervelometer for automatically timed shots which might be cool with your style of shooting.

Regarding the low light issue, the Nikon D700 has some of the best ratings I found if money is not a barrier. You will pay more for it than your cropped DSLR but it beats paying for an entry-level one now and then buying the good one later. Of course, I might be the only one on here that thinks that way :)

Those cameras are over my budget
i am trying to stay around the price range of the cameras i have already listed

Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated along with your opinions. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Ask and you shall receive.

Good luck.

Just purchased my D3000 a week ago. As others have mentioned, it's not as fast as some on the market but, for the price, it's hard to beat. I am very happy with the D3000. If you don't mind the trade off of grain, cranking the ISO might work for your low light situations. Good luck on your decision.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back