First DSLR....

Dubie

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
What are your thoughts on a Nikon D80 camera kit. It comes with a 18-135 mm lens. Is this a first good digital camera. I know I can get other lenses later.

That would be a great camera for most people.

looks good. you may want to consider waiting until november when the D3 and the D300 come out because the D200 and other Nikons will likely drop in price.

I would highly recommend trying the Nikon and Canon models (and maybe even a few more such as Sigma, Sony, Pentax) before you make a decision. It is a lot of money to shell out and it would be a disappointment to later find you prefer a different camera.
For example, although the name is good, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with the quality, I just don't get on with Nikons. I much prefer Canon.
Most camera shops will let you try a few DSLRs if you are serious about buying one. So go in and ask, and make sure you get the camera that is best suited to you.

Thanks for more great advice......

I have a Nikon n60 and that's why I am looking at nikons. I guess both are top of the line cameras. Someone had compared them to the Honda and Toyota of the camera world!

If you already have a Nikon and thus Nikon/Nikkor lenses to go with it that might be the way to go.

I was set on getting a Canon XTi because a couple of friends and my brother had them. I already had a Canon film SLR, so I was ahead of the game with lenses that would work. I did a lot of research and the D80 kept piquing my interest. Finally I went to a local shop and put those two in my hands. For me, the D80 just felt better. I also tried the D200, but my budget, which was already overextended, made me pull back. But instead of the 18-135mm, my preference was to go with the 18-55mm and a 55-200mm.

All that garble was to say, put 'em in your hand and see what fits. They all take good pictures. Beg, borrow or steal yourself a memory card for each (Nikon=SD, Canon=Compact flash) and take them for a test drive.

I LOVE my D80. As soon as I held it, it just fit perfectly. I have big hands for a a chick and all the other camera's felt small.
I went the 18-55 rout and picked up the 55-20 VR and am very very happy.

wow nikon D80 is really the best but as the other said you should try other brands of DSLR . . .

wish you all the best

Most reactions

Back