First Engagement Photo Shoot

bellacat

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.wildroseportraitphotography.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This past Saturday I shot my first engagement photos. I shot the family photos for this cute couple and since they recently became engaged we decided to try some engagement photos as well. I have never done this before so I don't even know if I am on the right track.

Please excuse the watermarks. I copied this from my blog.

CC is welcome and wanted. I would love to hear what the pros think.

20-02610005.jpg

22-02610001.jpg

27-02590012-h.jpg

29-02590009.jpg

33-02590002.jpg

They are good photos, nothing really stands out to much though, but out if those #3 is my fav. and #4 is my least fav. - He just doesnt seem very comfortable in the photo. Almost like hes trying not to fall backwards but holding still for the photo.

Is it my PP work that is lacking or the photos themselves. As I said before I have never done this before so I would love any feedback you can give even if its to say the photos are bad.

#2-I had a really hard time PP and didn't know what to do with it to make the image pop.

I can see what you mean about #4 now that you mention it.

Is it my PP work that is lacking or the photos themselves. As I said before I have never done this before so I would love any feedback you can give even if its to say the photos are bad.

#2-I had a really hard time PP and didn't know what to do with it to make the image pop.

I can see what you mean about #4 now that you mention it.

The thing is that they are not bad photos, I just dont feel any :hugs: ya know? Perhaps they are a bit to posey for my taste? #2 is good, have you tried other effects of them, sometimes a simple BW or sephia tone goes a long way in how a photograph speaks to you. Everyone has a different style, keep at it! Did you have any others that might be different? Feel free to look at some of mine on my flickr. Youll see some similar and some different. I typically dont pose the couples I shoot, we go out and I have them act as If I wasnt around. Usually results in some great moments. Granted certain things are posed but I think your missing some of that natural love/ excitement there should be with an engagement. Hope this helps!

subimatt: thanks for the comments. I really wish I had shot this session as you mentioned. The couple and I didn't know what to do and would find an area they liked and then pose for the camera. They seemed more interested in getting photos of them together :) Now i want to go back and reshoot so I can try and capture the love. thanks for commenting.

no prob, It was your first session, youll learn something new each time. I really like the second edit you did. well done!

Personally the last one is my favorite. The first one they are smashing their noses together, a common thing but it causes a bit of a blemish to the picture.

One of the most difficult things to do as a photographer is to build a comfortable relationship with your models/subjects in a very short amount of time.
I think one of the best skills you can have as a photographer is the ability to make just enough small talk to lead into complete trust within a 10-20 minute period. When your models/subjects do not feel at ease, it will show ten fold in the final captures.
Keep pluggin' away, you can only improve.

This was a shoot after I had a shoot with the whole family. The couple had a hard time relaxing but I think it might have been becuase they were still in the "i want to pose for the camera" mode like they did with the kids. :( Does anyone have any tips on how I can get the couple more relaxed?

I just wanted to tell you that I think you did a great job! Your lighting in these is MUCH better than the child shoot where I told you to use a reflector and stay out the sun! Great Job and I can definetly see improvements which is always a great thing!!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back