First ever real attempt at portraits.

GliderPilot

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I usually don't do portraits, but my girlfriend really wanted me to take a picture of her and this is the result. Let me know what you think.

HollyBW.jpg

I like it even though I wouldn't ordinarily. I like it becuase you decided to go tight crops but did it well. I like that you went tight crop because you would have lost her hair into the background if you hadn't. I think it was a well thought out portrait and the composition for what it is happens to be dead on.

I like the lighting as well even thought it might be a bit 'high key' on her face for some. I personally like lots of contrast in portraits. Not just light and dark but also crops and just plain feel of the thing. that all weighs into my judgement of a portrait.

Doubt that this helps but it is my opinion not an atta boy...

Hey, take every change you get to take photos of her...a willing model is half the battle...and a lovely, willing model is an absolute gift.

I agree with masterscribe, the tight crop works. I might crop a little closer on the bottom though. Her shoulder looks contorted...(and we can see some under arm hair...which is OK, if she's OK with it...but maybe not)

i agree with mystery & big mike... it is a lovely shot of a beautiful model...must add though that my eyes were 1st drawn to the underarm stubble which probably isnt a good thing x

Come to think of it, I never really noticed it, but aparently she did (And I've got the bruises to prove it). I can't seem to be able to PS it out and still keep the skin tone so I cropped it tighter. Does this take away from the picture?
HollyBWEdit.jpg

I'm not too keen on the whitish, somewhat 'ghostly' complexion. It's not flattering, imo.
I'd like to see this portrait in color.

I like the crop better...but I still think that her shoulder looks awkward...kind of like a knee, if you know what I mean. I tried to see what it would look like if it was cropped even more...but it starts to loose something in the overall sense.

I don't mind the B&W version but the color looks good as well.

I'm not often a fan of such flat lighting, but find it works fine here. I wish the pose was SLIGHTLY different... she needs a neck.

Cute girl. Considering this is your "first ever," I'd say you're definitely on track.

Pete

I really cant help you. All the portraits I did were for money not fun, so mine were all stock poses to that I could get paid. You want to experiment and shoot for drama and angle.

Just experiment till you find a natural flow and her best look. Avoid full face shots looking at the camera aka mugshots. The very most important thing I found over the years is to look for the natural expression and pose of your model.

I think she had it in the shots you made, just a little to much of a forced body angle maybe. Just ease up and move her some and let her move some. You will find your pose. Also look at some other portraits on the net. I'm sure you can find some. Most of all find positions that she is comfortable with. Those make the best shots. I think so anyway.

I'm sure you will get a lot better advice than this but just a thought or two.

Oh one trick I like a lot is give her a glass of wine shoot her with the glass and after she finishes it. DONT YOU HAVE ONE till you put the camera down.

Most reactions

Back