First experience DSLR

Mrk007

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hey guys,
I just bought my first DSLR (Nikon D3200) about 3 months ago. I experimented a bit taking pictures while being on holiday in Italy, France and Spain. I think the pictures are very colorful but im still experimenting with different styles of photography and colors/compositions. So this is just the beginning.
Tell me what you think. Constructive but honest comments please Thank you.
Portfolio - a set on Flickr

Most people here won't click an external link and there are a *lot* of pictures there. Too much to really give useful critique on. If you pick a few and post them into the thread, it'll be easier to help. Usually 2-3 is best and it helps if they're numbered, so they're easy to refer to in comments.

From looking at your link, I see a ton of bright color. I don't really have time to click through every one to say much more than that, though.

If you're a beginner, I hate to think what I am! Nice collection.

Some good stuff there. In general, my comment would be regarding the sunset pics. For my taste you have pushed the saturation way to far and made them look as cooked as a bad HDR (maybe they are). Tone it back just a little. The look of the sky takes away from the rest of the shot.

Some good stuff there. In general, my comment would be regarding the sunset pics. For my taste you have pushed the saturation way to far and made them look as cooked as a bad HDR (maybe they are). Tone it back just a little. The look of the sky takes away from the rest of the shot.

I would agree with deeky's comments; you went "too far" with the pseudo-HDR look on some of the sunset shots. Otherwise, for a first go with a d-slr, I think these are plenty good for vacation/holiday photos. The camera did well, you did well, you did a pretty good job with these for the most part. I have seen much worse photos; the overall level of acceptability is consistent. You could probably work to focus more on a so-called "main subject", but since many of these are what IU call "scenes" or "vistas", there is a tendency to make them just as you find them, and use a rather short lens length and a fairly basic rendering. Most of these shots are holiday-type shots, without strionge or forced perspective.

Like the beer bottles for example, on the beach; that could have been done with a MUCH closer "look" at the bottles. But still, it looks acceptable.

I think you did a fine job for the first time out. I like the way you are considering composition in each shot. More study on this subject will only make you that much better. Remember that comments such as the bottle being closer (as I agree) are only subjective views. You are the artist and you shot what you in vision. The one negative thing I must point out is the over use of post processing. It's one thing to bring out the natural colors of a shot but to create colors in a shot is awful in my opinion. I believe that the photo loses its integrity when saturation is pushed too high or colors are created within the scene. Of course that's just my opinion.

Thank you guys, im learning alot from your comments. And I have to agree, some pictures are over saturated.
I am learning now how to make softer and more realistic shots. There are many styles, subjects and compositions in photography that I would like to learn.

Thank you guys, im learning alot from your comments. And I have to agree, some pictures are over saturated.
I am learning now how to make softer and more realistic shots. There are many styles, subjects and compositions in photography that I would like to learn.

Here is a link I came across recently. It's a bit advanced but it has some really good videos that I think you can get some good info from.

http://theartofphotography.tv/

I agree if you are a beginner I am hopeless. Nice collection of photo's. I would be interested in knowing what settings you are using.

Thank you! If you tell me which picture's settings you are interested in, then I give you the settings ;)

hi mrk007,

i am also use Nikon D 3200 . it is to good in all things . i really love this camera . i have great experience ..

hi mrk007,

i am also use Nikon D 3200 . it is to good in all things . i really love this camera . i have great experience ..

I have no experience with more expensive or advanced DSLR's but I think the D3200 is a very good camera to begin with and in general it is just an awesome camera.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back