First Field Trip ft. Stanley Park

tenlientl

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
This is Stanley Park in Vancouver. I have 2x 4GB and I must say, it's not enough. Took about 500 photos. I learned a lot, like remembering to change settings with each angle/lighting conditions, exposure metering(is that the right term?) and most importantly, never format card unless you're sure that ALL files were transfered. I usually do this, but I didn't this time. Lost the last 30 photos including my favourite, the moon. It was so low and huge and yellow/orangish.

Anyways, there's about 16 I decided to share. It's at: http://imbty.zenfolio.com/p59733906

But if you don't wanna look at all 16, here's a few that I'd like most critique on.

#1- i really like b&w. i wish there was more clouds though. should i crop it? take the top part that doesnt have clouds, and the bottom part. too much water for this picture, agree?
p1007720437.jpg

#2- did some cs3ing. played with the curves
p545865814.jpg

#3- i like this one. half is trees, half is buildings. if you think "dont do a half shadow effect that splits the picture." i didnt. it was the shadow. wish more clouds though.
p986148143.jpg

if you got time, please check out the entire album. it has other things on there that id like critique on: http://imbty.zenfolio.com/p59733906

ps: ill upload a photo im gonna be sending to this family. they got stuck at the bottom where the water was and had to climb back on the sidewalk.

They're not bad, but I'm afraid that I don't find them too exciting (apart from maybe the first one). I'd like to see some more interesting compositions/perspectives. I see that's what you were trying in the second one, but I reckon the PP ruined it.

You need to always be asking yourself "would this be an interesting photo for people who have no emotional attachment to the setting/have never visited it?"

Just a few thoughts...

Stanley Park is an amazing place to shoot isn't it? Looks like you had a good time. C&C per req:

1. I don't think cropping would improve this image; the horizons are good the way they are however, it does have a few issues. It needs levelling, and the overall exposure is too extreme. Use the small building left foreground; nearly blown highlights on the right, deep shadow on the back. I'd suggest working some more with levels and curves to try and even out the exposure a little. The mono conversion is nicely done.

2. Good attempt to try for a more unusual composition, but again, because of the extreme exposure latitude it doesn't work too well.

3. Image needs levelling. The exposure range in this one is much better, however the image itself is less than exciting.

Overall there are a couple of major issues upon which you need to improve. The first is the technical, getting more even exposures and straightening your images. The exposures in this case were as a result of the places you chose to shoot at the time of day you chose, that is, very harsh shadows causing extremes of bright and dark. The second and more difficult is choose those scenes and compositions which are interesting and pleasing to the eye. A general rule of thumb for this is: If you're simply standing there, pointing your camera at the subject, someone has probably done it already. Get your camera down low; lay on the ground. Find a high vantage point to shoot down, that sort of thing.

Just my $00.02 worth - your mileage may vary.

~John

Yes. This is actually the first time I played with Tone Curves in LR2. I must say, I`m glad I decided to play with it.

I agree with the going low, laying down, etc. Did that with a few shots but didn`t like them at the end. Now question for those that DO lay down. Do people look at you weird? lol

Here`s the colour one that`s VERY similar to the first one. Note: different picture. check the broom location, lol http://imbty.zenfolio.com/p59733906/h353317fb#h35c8bc19

Now question for those that DO lay down. Do people look at you weird?

Quite often; I got rather a lot of weird looks (and more than a few comments too) while laying down on Lombard St. ("The Crookedest Street in the World") in San Francisco... You learn to ignore it.

I'm probably going back next week. Any more advice about #2?

Try a different time of day; look at the scene, and if you see dark areas and bright highlights, you know it's going to be difficult to get the exposure right.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back