First Flash Unit!

Don't know if you ever watch d-town TV from Nikon they have 3 episodes dedicated to using the Nikon flashes. The shows are very informative and give great tips. I think the episodes are 4,5,and 6. I love watching these. Check out the other episodes too. I think I will make a new post and dedicate it to this site. I haven't heard anyone mention it before.

Episodes - Page 2 | D-Town TV

hmmm good link scotty...gonna have to check that out.
im all out of "thanks" for the day, but i'll give you this one:

THANKS!

Get the SB 600 and find a used flash like an SB 28. One that's still compatible with CLS.

Can I ask a stupid question! Why? Why 2 flashs.... ok I know that is stupid but what the hell

Because with one bare flash or one on camera flash, you're not going to be able to take picture of these:

ok guys and gals. I am now researching my first flash unit. I have the Nikon D90 and looking for some lighting. At the most I can spend is about $250.00 . I want it for taking pictures of Cars and trucks and Portraits!

All opinions welcome!!!

There won't be any noticable difference from when using one flash.

And although you can use one bare flash for portraiture, you're going to be very limited with your setup.

You should probably purchase, "Light Science and Magic" by Phil Hunter before you do anything else. At least then you won't get all pissed off when your photos don't turn out how you want them to.

I put those links bookmarked and checked out one so far. I got the flash in today and had to work so did not get to mess with it much!!! So much to learn!!! So Little time

I am at work right now and dont have my Nikon D90 book so can someone tell me how to set it to commander mode to controll the flash off the camera?

It's in the flash settings... TTL Mode, set it to Commander.

Also, someone mentioned the SB-400 could be controlled wirelessly by the D90, it cannot.

I have 2 SB-600's and an SB-400 and I almost always have the SB-400 on. Then again I'm rarely planning my shots either - if I were I'd put the SB-600's on stands and have some fun :)

yea i agree with the others, the 600, or a used 800.. I played with the 400 back before I got my flash, and it really wasn't much better than the built in flash

I played with the 400 back before I got my flash, and it really wasn't much better than the built in flash

Huh!?

It's worlds apart from the built in flash... The difference is night and day to me, bouncing the light alone makes it worth it.

Huh!?

It's worlds apart from the built in flash... The difference is night and day to me, bouncing the light alone makes it worth it.

when i compared it to the other units, and put all the photos side by side, the 400 wasnt much better than the built in.. other than the option to bounce, which obviosuly is always useful.. but, bounce or not, you will feel very limited if you get the 400..

Well are there some cheaper slave flashes that the D90 can control? So If I wanted 3 flashes would I have to buy 2 more SB600????

Most reactions

New Topics

Back