first foray...

jocose

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.musingsofjocose.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
into the world of IR. As usual, C&C would be appreciated.

20061006081737_dsc_3129.jpg

20061006082025_dsc_3188.jpg

i like them, especially #2. i just wish the clouds were as "fluffy" as the trees appear to be. leave it to me to complain about something you can't control. either way, i like them alot.

And a first foray can already bring about SUCH results???
Wow.
Cool.
I am contemplating "going IR" one day, too, but still know far too little about the technical sides of doing so, let alone of how to then do it in practise.
So for the time being I must enjoy all your very interesting views in IR!!!

Thanks everyone.

LaFoto, I don't know anything either. I went taking pics with a friend who had an IR filter. He let me borrow it, and then I looked at others' pics to see what it should look like post-processing.

Moscovite said:
Ummm.... What's IR? Please, 'illuminate' me. :hail:

I'm still a newb, so I'm sure there are others who can better answer, but as far as I understand:

first of all, IR is simply infra-red. What you are doing is placing an IR filter at the end of the cam so you block out all but the IR rays. If you are using film, I believe that they have IR film to make things easier. If you are using digital, what I have been taught is that you set your app to about F11 (well, this is what we did on a semi-sunny semi-cloudy day anyway) and your speed to about 3-5". With the IR filter on, manually set your white balance either with a gray card or by using something green (I used the grass). Once that's set, remove the filter, set up the shot, put it back on and then take the pic.

What you will get is not what you see people posting. There is a bunch of post processing that I don't know how to do, and since I use PhotoShop Elements instead of the full program, I apparently don't have the right tools to do the job right...that might be partly why my pic seems so grainy...I don't really know.

Anyway, that's the best I can do to explain.

Most reactions

Back