First Full Frame - 5D Mark III.

If you don't know that you need full frame, you obviously don't need it.

I would bust out the good ole' manual and read it all the way through. Works for me.

I didn't really upgrade for one specific reason. I just wanted more from my camera and I feel that there isn't anything a full frame dslr can't do that a cropped sensor could.

First World problems.

I'm not an idiot. I have been doing photography for several years. And, have run a very successful studio.

I know the differences between FF and cropped. I have done plenty of research into the 5D Mark III. Thus why haven't gotten one until now. But, it's all about feel. You can look at the specs, watch all the reviews, but that doesn't actually add up to the actual use of one. I was simply looking for some feedback from those who have one.

This also isn't a matter of being a "First World Problem" either. I make a good living. I like the best and it reflects in my work. It's my money, not yours.

I'm glad you've ran a succesful business.

From what you've written in this thread, you aren't coming off like you have a firm grasp on what the 5d Mark III offers. It appears you bought it because it's "the best" and for that reason alone. Usually people have more reason than that. But to each their own!

technically speaking, for Canon, wouldn't "the best" be the 1Dx? the 5DIII might be a close second.

I'm glad you've ran a succesful business.

From what you've written in this thread, you aren't coming off like you have a firm grasp on what the 5d Mark III offers. It appears you bought it because it's "the best" and for that reason alone. Usually people have more reason than that. But to each their own!

I didn't.
I just wanted it.
I had to have it.
So I got it.
I love it.

I originally was going to buy the Mark II before I ever bought my 7D. But, the 7D was brand new and was supposed to be implementing a lot of the new features they were going to put into the Mark III. So, that's really why I went with a cropped sensor camera in the first place.

Also, I looked into getting the 1DX. And, I plan on having it one day. I thought I would start with the Mark III first. Photography isn't my primary source of income. So, I don't need to be hasty on going all out.

Last edited:
Check out the shallower DOF for a start.
I just upgraded from a 7D to the new 5D Mark III. I'm wanting to really use it to it's fullest. It's just a lot of camera.

Is there anything I should know after making the switch? New things I should possibly try?

You do realize that you don't actually gain "reach" from a crop sensor, it's the same focal length be it on a FF or a 1.6...you only limit the amount of the total scene you're able to capture...

Well do YOU realise, in practical terms, that is dependent on the pixel count of a FF capture,
as well as the resolving power of the lens ? Put the same lens on a FF and crop body with
roughly the same pixel-count; crop your FF image to match the FOV and compare the two.

I have no FF camera, and I'm much too lazy for all that :)

i assume what you're saying is that the FF camera would have a better useable image cropped to the 1.6 sensor size?

ok, good luck with your 5D markIII, post photos from it here and then we can discuses more about the camera according to your pics out of it.

Most reactions

Back