First Go at Black and White (not dial up friendly 700K)

Synergy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
This is my first go at using a black and white film, which was a Kodak Tmax 100. While I was shooting I tried to ignore colour and concentrate on shapes, lines, shadows, contrasts and I have to say it was a revealing experience to me and wonder if I’d feel differently about the results if I had used colour. Fortunately I was in luck with the weather and the beautiful gardens at Cliveden Hall provided plenty of photo opportunities.

I was pleasantly surprised at the results, although looking at the neg,it does look like I’ve over exposed every shot by a small amount, although they do look nice and contrasty to my eye. I’ve read that Tmax100 is a harder film to develop and that most people who DIY adjust the developing to there own taste. Next time I use it, I’ll know to under expose maybe half a stop.

Equipment used was my trusty Olympus OM-1 with a 30-70mm F4 Auto Focus lens. The negs where developed by Snappy Snaps in store the same day and scanned in by me using a Minolta Dimage Dual 4

I wish i'd taken a couple of primes along now to get sharper images!

Enjoy!

Synergy

frame1.jpg

frame11.jpg

frame12.jpg

frame18.jpg

frame2.jpg

frame3.jpg

frame9.jpg

Alison

Swiss Army Friend
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Website
fatephoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I love black and white for the same reasons that you mentioned, the shapes and feelings of the photo just sort of take over. I really like the 1st and 2nd pictures that you posted, nice contrast and composition. It *almost* makes me want to try out film again. I do miss the developing days!

John E.

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Pretty nice pics for a day of shooting and first time using black and white to boot. My first pictures with black and white were awful, I do not think any of my first exposures turned out right, I quickly learned that I had to take more time setting up my shots.

Most reactions