First HDR Car

Ernicus

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
went to local diner where they have old cars each Wednesday and took some shots. Trying out HDR. Second time using photomatix so I'm a total newb at the software. Used AEB five clicks up n down with my 7D and 28-135 lens.

Lemme know what ya HDR'ers think and where to go from here.

I like to go for the natural look, not overcooked look. I also like vibrant colors. I did not get as much detail out of the shadows as I was hoping for, as seen with tires disappearing.

I took many shots, so this is the first of a few I'll process tonight.

7981154837_7af3d67c2b_o.jpg

"I did not get as much detail out of the shadows as I was hoping for, as seen with tires disappearing."

Exactly what I was thinking when I saw the picture. However this is pretty good IMO. The angle you chose is good, but since that blue car on the left is there, it is a little distracting. Plus there seems to be a blue tint coming off the chrome, I dont know if that is from that blue car or something else. IMO chrome should look really super clean and detailed in an HDR.

I will keep an eye out for your others from this day, as I feel you can never have enough car shots! :wink:

:)

Yeah, many of the cars were so damn close together, the only time I could get a shot without the other stuff is when I was shooting pieces and parts. I guess that's what ya get at local gatherings. Amazing how many times I had to sit there, framed up, finger on trigger, waiting for some fvcktard to get out of my damn shot...and they saw me there before they walked up to gawk. Turds.

Pretty sure the blue is from the other car, there was a purple car down next...could even be some of that in there as well.

Thanks for the comments. :)

The blue hue could be coming from the skylight, and this might be the way the HDR process "sees" the reflection on the chrome and car, I'm not sure.

Like you said, it would be nice to see more of the tire and tread.

Here are some emblem shots. Not quite diggin' 'em, but I processed 'em, might as well show 'em. Working on some blue currently for next post.

7981208282_f673700bbc_o.jpg

7981258666_4c169cec6e_o.jpg

Here's the regular photo of that same shot with a few regular adjustments. Not as rich.

7981341452_d41ac54428_c.jpg

What I meant is, it defeats the purpose of shooting multiple exposures if you are losing all those details. Not that everything needs to be evenly exposed, but what's the point of HDR if it's eventually going to end up looking like a single exposure shot?

Did you use RAW files or just jpegs? If you are unable to get the details without over cooking the rest of the image, you can do two processing versions and compose them together in photoshop.

What I meant is, it defeats the purpose of shooting multiple exposures if you are losing all those details. Not that everything needs to be evenly exposed, but what's the point of HDR if it's eventually going to end up looking like a single exposure shot?

Did you use RAW files or just jpegs? If you are unable to get the details without over cooking the rest of the image, you can do two processing versions and compose them together in photoshop.

I know what your smartass comment meant...however I took it as a compliment which is why I said thanks. My goal is to make it look natural like a regular photo, only with a richer look you can't get from just one single image, as demonstrated. I don't see where any details were lost...and evenly exposed was my goal. So the two points you put as "defeating the purpose" I think I have illustrated as my purpose in this shot and were achieved.

Why would I want to process two images differently and then merge them in photoshop when I can HDR it with much less effort. That proposed method is silly to me.

It's not a great image but it is a great practice image.

;-)

A good HDR, when someone looks at it, first strikes them as a great picture, and only secondarily do they notice the HDR.

It's a tool, not a way of life. Yes, one can do some amazing things by overcooking, but most of the time, it's best to keep a light touch, with just enough of the effect to make the shot better.

I like the vette. Yes, the tires could be opened up better. Getting control of HDR is a matter of experience; still learning myself.

I like the emblem shots!! :D

Most reactions

Back