First HDR

Cricketboy

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I thought I'd try a shot at HDR, obviously it needs some post processing as it looks gross in my opinion! The only light in the photo is what was coming from the window on the left. I just don't know what I should do next, bring up the saturation? But over all did I do it right? I took ~13 images in manual mode, I went through most of the shutter speeds, 4 seconds to 1/1000 all at f/3.5. I used some program called "Qtpfsgui" to generate the HDR, then tone mapped it to a PNG file. (Converted to JPEG for smaller upload size)

1 (no post processing, other than convert to jpeg)
pianohdr1.jpg

2 (used the gimp to increase saturation)
pianohdr2.jpg

Last edited:
How much time have you seriously invested in learning HDR level out with me and be honest I am not picking on you or belittling you. But everything in here goes against HDR. Converting an image to Jpg is not HDR at all.

And then the purple fringe around the window yikes. When posting scale down your image size for viewing posting images of 3000x1691 is over kill something around 1000 width by 663 height is a good sweet area.

I would highly recommend catching up on some reading taking bracketed shot's and processing a little.

I don't understand the comment about "converting to jpg goes against HDR". You have to save an image in either jpg or gif to be uploaded and shown in many online photo albums. Plus, what's wrong with saving a processed image as jpg? I've also created HDR images successfully using a point and shoot camera with jpg photos.

Regarding the photos, I don't see any thing in the result that I can't get in photoshop without going through the HDR process. Not sure what your set up was. May be it's the camera or lens.

I think the pic doesnt look bad at all. I can see some pretty good range there. The purple fringe is easy to fix. To save some more negative comments post the middle shot of the files you used to make the HDR.

How much time have you seriously invested in learning HDR level out with me and be honest I am not picking on you or belittling you. But everything in here goes against HDR. Converting an image to Jpg is not HDR at all.

And then the purple fringe around the window yikes. When posting scale down your image size for viewing posting images of 3000x1691 is over kill something around 1000 width by 663 height is a good sweet area.

I would highly recommend catching up on some reading taking bracketed shot's and processing a little.

Sorry, I'll upload smaller resolution files next time. Honestly? Honestly I've spent a total of 4-5 hours reading random articles about HDR. I thought I'd give it a try, most of my time spent was trying to find a free program to layer the photos together and make an HDR file. I didn't want to pay $99 for photomatix of something similar. I don't have the money for it, nor photoshop. I took 13 bracketed photos in my bedroom and used the application to create an HDR file (a .EXR I think), then tonemapped it to PNG, and my image host site didn't like the PNG files so I converted them to JPEG. The photos taken were all at f/3.5 4 seconds to 1/1000 of a second in the manual mode on my cheap digital video camera. I know that JPEGs or PNGs are not a real HDR photos.

Bynx said:
To save some more negative comments post the middle shot of the files you used to make the HDR.

Middle shot of 13 taken.
sany0367.jpg

Sorry, my computer had a nervous breakdown trying to load the page.

:(

I'm re-uploading smaller photos hold on a few seconds.

Last edited:

Sorry, I'll upload smaller resolution files next time. Honestly? Honestly I've spent a total of 4-5 hours reading random articles about HDR. I thought I'd give it a try, most of my time spent was trying to find a free program to layer the photos together and make an HDR file. I didn't want to pay $99 for photomatix of something similar. I don't have the money for it, nor photoshop. I took 13 bracketed photos in my bedroom and used the application to create an HDR file (a .EXR I think), then tonemapped it to PNG, and my image host site didn't like the PNG files so I converted them to JPEG. The photos taken were all at f/3.5 4 seconds to 1/1000 of a second in the manual mode on my cheap digital video camera. I know that JPEGs or PNGs are not a real HDR photos.

Bynx said:
To save some more negative comments post the middle shot of the files you used to make the HDR.

Middle shot of 13 taken.
sany0367.jpg

The range for this scene could be captured probably in +3,+2,+1,0 -1,-2,-3 7 shot's 13 is overkill for this scene I bet there's 3 exposures that are super bright killing your range and at least 2 underexposed shots that are basically black images.

You did something good because someone liked it

I think you have demonstrated to many how incredible HDR can be. Your original post looks simple enough until you realize how much range there is in it. Im not crazy about the composition of the pic, but I really like your processing. Well done. By the way when I asked you to post the middle shot, what I meant was the shot that you considered the single best one that best showed the overall scene. I think your shots are mostly underexposed to allow for that really bright window while just a couple of shots were used for the inside of the room.

...By the way when I asked you to post the middle shot, what I meant was the shot that you considered the single best one that best showed the overall scene. I think your shots are mostly underexposed to allow for that really bright window while just a couple of shots were used for the inside of the room.

Oops, here's that shot that was closest to what my camera thought would be the best exposure.
sany0371c.jpg

Most reactions

Back