First Humming Bird pictures ever...

Kaye68

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
So today I go to the local grocery store and they are putting out fresh flowers so I figure this is perfect for me to play with my new macro lens (Nikon 105 f/2.8 VR). Ok so I buy some and go home. Hours later I decide I am ready to play so I take my flowers outside on my patio because that is where I get the best lighting. Well I get just a few shots before I am over come by flies that just love my flowers as much as I do so this is what I ended up with: (handheld)
Image control: Zoom out | Zoom 100% | Zoom in | Expand / Contract | New window
1298153920_f689f60b6b_b.jpg
one.gif

After I realize that I can not get a good shot without having a "fly" in the picture I decide to give up so as I am just looking around I find this little guy watching the whole thing and is more likely to be laughing at me so I took his picture: (handheld)
one.gif
1298153950_9ddb4a63a6_b.jpg
one.gif

But just as I turn around to pick my things up and go inside considering this a total lose I see and hear something and look up and it was a humming bird passing through the patio. So now I am like OMG the very first one I see this year!!! All excited I run in the house to tell my dh and gather my feeders to clean them up and fill them to set them outside for the next time that one happens to come by and just maybe it will find it and hang around for a day or so. At least I had high hopes!!! LOL
Not 5 minutes after doing this I am sitting in my patio just thinking and looking at the feeders (still with camera in hand) LOL. Sure as $hit I see one and now I am totally just freaking out!!! I still had my macro lens on and was not sure if I would be able to do anything with it but I tried and was lucky enough to get something. So here I am all excited and this thunderstorm out of no where starts opening up on top my house so I figure oh well, there goes my excitement. Well to my surprise the lightning did not bother "these" little guys at all. YES THESE... there were so many I was just about to have a stroke!!! LOL
Well all I can say is that I give praise to anyone that can get a perfect picture of humming birds because they are soooo fast, it was so hard to get a picture of them. But I managed to get a few "ok" ones out of 76 pictures that I took. Here are only the few that were ok:
one.gif
1298153970_8ff7a6154e_b.jpg
one.gif

one.gif
1298153996_663f00a338_b.jpg
one.gif

one.gif
1298154032_056e37ce42_b.jpg
one.gif

one.gif
1298154050_5030801557_b.jpg
one.gif

one.gif
1297311351_3534514d9f_b.jpg
one.gif

one.gif
1297311359_079a3bab1f_b.jpg
one.gif

So now that I had my fun and exciting day that was filled with lots of adventure... LOL, I now realize I made the "right" choice in a macro lens based on the "VR" option because if it had not been for that I would have missed everything and could have never shared what I was seeing.
All shot in Aperture Priority.

So, thanks for letting me share!

Wow! Some of those look unreal! Good job. What shutter speed were numbers 4 and 5 taken? (The wings are captured)

oh thank you... this was the first time ever that I was able to attempt this and accidentally had to do it with a macro lens.

The settings for number 4 and 5 were both the same as:

ISO 100 ss/60 f/3, spot metering with on board flash

I love all the photos, i just have one complaint. In the third photo is that light reflecting off the lens that covers up the wings? Its distracting. I know theres nothing you could have done its just such a wonderful picture that any distractions are grrr. lol. Fantastic Job.

I love all the photos, i just have one complaint. In the third photo is that light reflecting off the lens that covers up the wings? Its distracting. I know theres nothing you could have done its just such a wonderful picture that any distractions are grrr. lol. Fantastic Job.

I know exactly what you are talking about because it was bugging me too. I kept trying to position myself to avoid the background lighting but that did not last long as it was lightning so much that soon became the least of my worries.

I am hoping to actually setup for these shots and get much better shots within the coming days now that I know they are here.

Excellant photos. Around here (central NC)we only get the ones with a lot of green on them and not nearly as beautiful of specimens as you captured. I have made several attempts so far but nothing worthy of posting. I noted your specs and will give another go. Problem is that I introduced humming bird feeders to my Mom and their positions are hard to get at for a photo.

I really like the fly pic but I think the hummers of kind of blown out with the flash.

Most reactions

Back